Thursday, January 2, 2014

Yearly Recap 2013


Well, hello, long lost blog.  It's been awhile.  I found this yearly review questionnaire that I thought would be a fun way to catch up. 

1. What did you do in 2013 that you’d never done before?
A half marathon!  This was HUGE for me.  Anyone who knows me knows I've always been adamant that I am not a runner. One day I headed out for a 3 mile run as some cross training (it was biking season) and Dave decided to bike next to me with with the kiddos.  When I hit the turnaround point on the trail Dave challenged me to keep going and make my 5k a 10k run instead.  I kept going.  It was hard but I did it.  That was my turning point in running. I realized my body (although it may think it's dying) can run- it's my head I have to convince.  I started training for a half right after that.  I'll have to do a full recap about the half in it's own blog post. It was awesome.

I also photographed my first birth story.  If I could specialize in one area of photography I think I would aim for birth stories.  It was an amazing experience. 

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

Last year my theme for the year was "cut the crap".  I later changed it to one word "clean".  I wanted to focus on clean eating and being more selective about what books I read, movies I watched and music I listened to.  I feel like I made huge improvements in both areas.  I'm definitely not eating clean 80% of the time like I had originally planned- the last two months kind of derailed me BUT eating clean comes a lot more natural for me now and I really enjoy it.  I just need to work on cutting out all my beloved treats ;).  This last year I also found many inspirational movies, books and music. It's amazing how what you allow in your life can either lift you or depress you. 

This year my theme is PROGRESS.  I always give my theme a lot of thought and am really excited about this one. It seems fitting for where our little family is right now with Dave going back to school. Also, I was recently put into young womens in church and the young womens president challenged all of the leaders to earn their medallion for personal progress by the end of this year which I plan to do.  The challenge also got me thinking about what other things in my life I want to progress in.  

I want to continue to eat better.  More green vegetables.

Dave and I are signing up for a full marathon.

I want to spend more hands-on time with my kids.  

I have some more specific goals but won't bore you with them all.  The point of my theme, though, is to remind me that change and progress don't have to be huge.  Small improvements are still improvements and are what gradually lead to big improvements. 

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Man- I can't think of anyone. Which is sad, I need more babies in my life ;).

4. Did anyone close to you die?
Thankfully, no.  

5. What countries did you visit?
None!  Dave and I are planning a European tour this summer though. Eeek!

6. What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013?
More down time.  I've discovered I don't like the person I become when I am constantly on the go.  I get stressed and ornery.  My poor house, husband, and kids become neglected. One of my dear friends recently came to visit and she made a comment about making the most out of the stage of life you are in and it hit me- I don't want to rush through my children's childhood, I want to savor it.  

7. What dates from 2013 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
August 13- the fire.  It was scary, stressful and emotional but man, I sure learned a lot of life lessons through that experience and saw so much good and love come out.  

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
2 centuries and a half marathon

9. What was your biggest failure?
Blogging and taking pictures of my own family. Ha! I try to use my blog as a type of family journal. This year, it was sadly neglected.  

11. What was the best thing you bought?
Right off the top of my head- my blendtec. I don't know how I ever lived without it. Although if gifts count the Garmin forerunner 620 Dave gave me just might beat it. 

12. Where did most of your money go?
Towards our house. 

13. What did you get really excited about?
Christmas!  My kids are at such a fun age for it and I love, love, love all the fun family activities and parties that happen in December. 

14. What song will always remind you of 2011?
OneRepublic's Counting Stars.  Ha!  It was one of my favorite running songs but has since turned into a family joke.  We all love to sing the chorus "take that money, watch it burn" at the top of our longs because it makes Canyon really, really mad.  He has a favorite stuffed animal dog named, you guessed it, Money, and thinks the song is about him.  

This story sounds a lot meaner when written down. 

15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
– happier or sadder? Happier? I don't remember too much about my emotional state from last year but I am pretty dang happy right now.
– thinner or fatter? Fatter. Ha!  Let's just say I thoroughly enjoyed December.
– richer or poorer?  Poorer.  A LOT poorer.  Dave just started nursing school (Yay!!) and school is not cheap. 

6. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Lake days and family walks  

17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Work.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE what I do and I had my most successful year yet but it kind of turned me into a crazy person.   

18. How did you spend Christmas?
At home in our pajamas.  We ate and played and napped and watched Christmas movies and it was fabulous. 

19. What was your favorite TV program?
We aren't big on TV here but Dave and I did enjoy watching, Bones, on my laptop after the kiddos were in bed. Old episodes of The Gilmore Girls also graced my screen. I kind of wish I could move to that quirky and fictional little town. 

 20. What were your favorite books of the year?
Ooh!  I had many favorites this year!
My Story by Elizabeth Smart
Deliberate Motherhood: 12 Key Powers of Peace, Purpose, Order & Joy
Breaking Night: A Memoir of Forgiveness, Survival, and My Journey from Homeless to Harvard
Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption 
The Rent Collector by Cameron Wright
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
Peace Like a River by Leif Enger
Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman
How Children Succeed: Grit, Curiosity, and the Hidden Power of Character
In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan
The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult

21. What was your favorite music from this year?
A little of this, a little of that.  The only complete album I bought this year was a Hilary Weeks one if that helps. 

22. What was your favorite film of the year?
Catching Fire and Frozen were both pretty stellar.  

23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 29 this year.  Gulp.  And this is terrible, because I'm sure it was an awesome day, but all I remember from my birthday is a big A ice cream cake. Oh, it was dreamy. 

24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Being able to see my sister. 

25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2013?
non-existant. Ha! I did wear a lot of running clothes, maxi skirts, skinny jeans, boots, and leggings and billowy shirts that Dave absolutely hated. 

26. What kept you sane?
Dark chocolate, date nights, finding two amazing babysitters, kisses and hugs from my chickens and the two hours between when the said chickens would go to bed and Dave and I would go to bed. 

27. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013.
Love is powerful. 

3 comments:

Mindy said...

Oh my gosh, I just know why we're friends. I loved all of your answers, and related to so many! I miss you!

Mindy said...

Oh my gosh, I just know why we're friends. I loved all of your answers, and related to so many! I miss you!

Rachel Holloway said...

You crack me up! Loved reading about your year--the good, honest truth! ;) And for the record, I am certain your worst style is still better than my best!

Nursing school!? SO awesome! I hope things go great for him and he finds himself really loving that field!!