I don't know if you know this but Dave is one of the most stubborn people I have ever met. Sure, sure he likes to hide it under his easy-going, not-a-care-in-the-world personality but I assure you, that stubbornness is there. Once he has a goal, there's no stopping him. His stubbornness has seen him through both a marathon and an Olympic triathlon with very minimal training. In fact, I think he did maybe, maybe, a half a dozen runs leading up to his marathon with the longest one being only 7 miles. His stubborn streak also won him his current job. After making it almost to the end of a long and lengthy interview process Dave's soon-to-be boss, John, told Dave that he didn't think Dave was going to be a good fit. Dave refused to believe this and started arguing heatedly with John, or more accurately at him. Dave ended up getting the job and John later told Dave it was because of that "fire" and "passion" he exhibited. Yes, his stubbornness has seemed to serve him quite well over the years. In fact, as I type this there is a motorcycle sitting in my garage that I in no way wanted. Like I said, no stopping him ;).
A few weeks ago Dave started talking about a little rescue black lab puppy he had met at work and that was currently needing a home.
No. No. No. I was going to stand my ground this time! Puppies are a lot of work and my plate was already full. No.
"But she's soooo cute"
"The kids would love having a dog they can play with"
"I've always wanted a black lab"
"Look at these adorable pictures of her. Look how she needs a family."
And the clincher... "It makes me nervous when you go running alone. She could be your running partner"
Somehow I agreed to a week trial adoption... and fell in love with my little Bels... just as Dave knew I would.
Yes, she is a LOT of work. But she is so sweet, loyal, and smart. In just over a week she has all of the basic commands down (sit, lie down, stay, come, drop it, etc) and has even mastered a few fun ones as well (roll over, nice kisses, crawl, ringing a bell to go outside). Our walk/runs (she's still too young for full out running) are one of my favorite parts of the day and when at home she never leaves my side.
Dave wins again.

2 comments:
I'm so happy you were talked into taking her home. She's too terribly cute to not be in the Miller family!
AWESOME! I was just telling my kids how we need to get a lab when we get a bigger yard... I would love to have a dog again... But they threatened to run away if we did get one. Dog or kids?? Hmmmmm.... Just kidding, I have to keep working with them on it :) We need to come over so the can see a cute little puppy. Besides, who can resist a puppy!
Post a Comment