This past weekend I rode the Cache Gran Fondo with my dad. Dave, my usual biking partner, was scheduled to be at scout camp so my dad quickly agreed to ride my last century of the season with me. I was pretty nervous going into this ride. Especially because I was looking for a bit of redemption after my last two century events. The week or two leading up to the fondo my body felt all out of sorts. I wasn't sleeping, I was dizzy, sore and achy most of the time and my workouts all seemed extremely hard. In fact after doing a painful solo 53 miler I was really having doubts about my ability to finish 100 miles. I usually love 50 milers as they are the fun before the "work" begins. I told myself going into the ride I'd just see how things felt. I could always op for the 50 mile route instead of the 100 if needed. I knew my dad wouldn't mind.
Luckily, the morning of the fondo I woke up feeling great, even though I had only gotten about 4 hours of sleep. My dad and I headed into Logan where they had a pre-ride breakfast feast. It was fabulous. After eating we quickly lined up to start. What followed was one of the best rides of my life. The route was fun, trying, and absolutely beautiful. The rest stops were equipped with food galore (breakfast burritos, fresh fruit cups and rice crispy treats as big as my hand at one stop!) and amazing, friendly volunteers with a full blown party to greet us at the finish line. They actually closed off all of Center street for the party. Best of all, though, I got to bike with my dad.
My dad is kind of a quiet guy so I relished the one-on-one time I got with him. The ride gave us hours and hours to talk and laugh and eat and laugh and talk and laugh some more. On Father's day I actually started a post about my dad but never ended up finishing or posting it because I was having too hard of a time putting such tender feelings into words. I'm having the same problem now. I'll just say that my dad is the most inspirational person I have ever known. His love for everyone, his patience, his positive outlook and love for life, his willingness to work hard and do what needs to be done and never complain are just a few of the qualities that make him so dear to my heart. Hearing more of his thoughts and life experiences on the ride was a true gift.
My dad is kind of a quiet guy so I relished the one-on-one time I got with him. The ride gave us hours and hours to talk and laugh and eat and laugh and talk and laugh some more. On Father's day I actually started a post about my dad but never ended up finishing or posting it because I was having too hard of a time putting such tender feelings into words. I'm having the same problem now. I'll just say that my dad is the most inspirational person I have ever known. His love for everyone, his patience, his positive outlook and love for life, his willingness to work hard and do what needs to be done and never complain are just a few of the qualities that make him so dear to my heart. Hearing more of his thoughts and life experiences on the ride was a true gift.
Enough chatter. How about a few pictures (all stolen from my dad)? I'll save you from the one of me gorging myself on oranges and red vines. You're welcome.
Ok- in a non creepy way, check out my dad! Although old (I kid! I kid! ;) the guy is in amazzzzing shape. He's an animal. I'm hoping by the time he's 82 I'll finally be able to keep up with him.
Top of Weston Canyon (the first and main climb) around mile 45! They actually had a band rocking out congratulations at the top. It was awesome.
Annnnd... at the bottom of Weston Canyon. I have no idea how to post the video on here so there's the link.
And just for fun, how about a little throwback picture?
Love it.




1 comment:
That's so awesome! I did a triathlon with my dad, and loved being with him.
Post a Comment