Saturday, July 16, 2011

Charmed




Canyon is the only baby in Relief Society, which is quite the change from our last ward.  I have to admit, the first Sunday I walked in with my wiggly baby to see a room full of women (mainly 60 years and older) I panicked and almost headed right back out.  Babies are noisy.  Really noisy.  And I didn't think the ladies would appreciate his constant babbling, growling and yelling as much as I do. Especially considering it is hard enough for most of them to hear the speaker (I'm not being rude, they have quite the set-up to help everyone be able to hear). 

You can imagine my surprise when me and little dude were warmly, and I do mean WARMLY, welcomed.  Canyon was ooohed and aaahhhed over for a good 10 minutes.  He also got his cheeks pinched several times.  Every Sunday it is the same.  As soon as we walk in all attention is turned to him (yes, even when we are late, which we are often). Canyon burped once and the whole lesson was put on hold as everyone started giggling...and then laughing...and then ooohing and aaahing over him again.  Then there was the time he broke away and did his funny little wiggle-worm crawl up the aisle.  Once again, the lesson was put on hold and Canyon was the center of attention.  The little ham ate. it. up.  For most of the lesson Canyon is usually slyly smiling over my shoulder and batting his eyes at the women around us because he knows of the instant adoration that will be liberally sprinkled upon him.  I'm not allowed to come to Relief Society without him. Little fart. He already knows how to woo his way into the ladies' hearts.

So many of the sweet sisters, as they caress his wispy baby hair and rub on his sweet baby cheeks, tell me, no admonish me, not to take this time for granted.  Because they grow up fast.  Really fast.  It actually makes me quite sad to see their melancholy smiles as they tell me about their children who are grown and living their own lives somewhere.  I only hope that when that day comes for me there will be some frazzled young mother who will let me hold and snuggle on her little one for a bit. 

By the way, I think little dude is ready for yet ANOTHER haircut, don't ya think?

2 comments:

Crystal and Kevin said...

Oooh look at those teeth! He's so stinkin handsome!

Jess said...

He is irresistible!