Sunday, January 1, 2012

9 years and counting

Because our anniversary is only a few days after Christmas (squeezed a marriage in in between semesters, apparently that happens quite a bit around here) we rarely do anniversary gifts for each other.  Instead, we write each other letters.  This year, I, errr, kind of forgot. So in honor of our 9th anniversary and to make up for the oversight I'm going to bore delight you with 9 things I love about Dave.

1.  He always out does me. Several Christmases ago when we were dirt poor we decided to make each other gifts.  I spent hours crocheting a large, lovely afghan in his favorite colors sure that my gift would beat his gift (I get a little competitive with Dave and gifts, don't ask).  Christmas morning came and I proudly presented the afghan.  He took me downstairs to his shop and presented me with...a freaking log bed.  The most gorgeous log bed I've ever laid eyes.  He even collected sticks from our hikes that year and incorporated them into the headboard. Yup, totally bested by the hubs.  This year I lined up a babysitter (thanks, Jess) and planned a movie and dinner for our anniversary. Unbeknownst to me he planned a three day getaway to Jackson hole that included, shopping, cross-country skiing, swimming and lots of BBQ eating.  Bested again. It happens quite often.



2. His laugh.

3. His drive. When Dave wants something or puts his mind to something he makes it happen, whether it be a marathon, a triathlon, a 206 mile bike ride or a new house. Not going to lie, as great as this specific attribute is it has given me several ulcers over the course of our marriage ;).

4. The fact that he always puts the toilet seat down and really tries to shut the cupboards after he opens them.  He knows they both drive me crazy.

5. His compassion.  Did you know Dave and I met in a nursing home?  Yup. After we started dating, his mom (who was in charge of the schedule), made sure we ended up working as many shifts as possible together. One of the main things that drew me to Dave was how hard of a worker he was and the compassion he had for the residents. To this day Dave goes out of his way to help others in any way possible. 

6. His love for fresh air and the great outdoors. 

7. His sleepy eyes

8. His ability to stay calm and think rationally in any situation. Believe you me, it's a good thing I married a man like that.

9. Last but not least, the fact that 9 years later he still makes me feel like I am his whole world.

1 comment:

Kati said...

So sweet! Dave does have some super qualities, but man, I sure believe he married up! You are completely amazing Britt!!!! Happy Anniversary guys!

Psst! On #5, you may want to add a comma after dating. :)