
*disclaimer-I am by no means a food photographer. I think i'm just too impatient. Something about wanting to eat....*
A Whole Grain, Cranberry-Orange Scone. Oh, how we have become addicted. Emma insists I, "make them for evvvery meal". And really, most days I'm tempted to. Luckily they freeze well. I usually make up a batch, bake a few and then freeze the remaining ones in individual portion sizes. That way most mornings all we have to do is pop them in the oven for 20 minutes and voila...fresh, warm scones. Alright enough babble, you get the picture...yummy breakfast scones you must try.
Whole Grain Cranberry-Orange Scones
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup oats
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 cup (or more) fresh or frozen cranberries
1 cup oats
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 cup (or more) fresh or frozen cranberries
Zest of one orange
1/2 cup fat free vanilla yogurt
1/2 cup fat free vanilla yogurt
1/4 cup fresh squeezed juice from an orange
1 large egg
1 large egg
Combine orange zest and sugar together. Rub until fragrant. Add the remaining dry ingredients and whisk to blend. Using back of fork, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add cranberries and toss gently to distribute evenly. Whisk 1/2 cup yogurt, orange juice, and egg to blend in small bowl. Gradually add yogurt mixture to dry ingredients, tossing until evenly moistened. Do not over mix.
Turn dough out onto lightly floured work surface. Gently knead 2 or 3 turns to bind. Divide dough in half. Pat out each half to 6-inch-diameter, 3/4-inch-thick round. Cut each round into 6 wedges. Arrange scones on prepared sheet, spacing at least 1 inch apart. Brush scones with yogurt to glaze, then sprinkle with coarse sugar.
Turn dough out onto lightly floured work surface. Gently knead 2 or 3 turns to bind. Divide dough in half. Pat out each half to 6-inch-diameter, 3/4-inch-thick round. Cut each round into 6 wedges. Arrange scones on prepared sheet, spacing at least 1 inch apart. Brush scones with yogurt to glaze, then sprinkle with coarse sugar.
Bake scones until puffed and brown and tester inserted into centers comes out clean, about 22 minutes at 375. Serve warm.
I did try substituting some applesauce and canola oil for the butter but I don't recommend it. Apparently they need the fat from the butter to hold them together.
Now, if you have a favorite breakfast recipe please send it my way. I'm always on the lookout for a good one.
2 comments:
Looks great Britt! What is orange zest?? I am sure you are ashamed to say you are related to me now- but I have no idea... I would try making these if they had only 5 ingredients. That is my mental block. I freak out making things that are more ingredients than that. How do I get over this?!?!?!? Oh and where do you get brown rice flour?? Or do you put Brown rice in a wheat grinder?? Would that work? SO many questions- sorry....
Remind me to get you my Whole Wheat Pancake recipe from Young's. So delicious and fluffy.
Post a Comment