Monday, September 5, 2011

Couldn't live without her

I have a confession.  Sundays are hard for me.  Dave works 90% of them which leaves me wrestling the three monkeys at church alone.  Sacrament meeting is last and usually by the time we sit down for it the children are already restless and in Canyon's case, tired and ready for a nap. I have left more meetings than I care to admit halfway through, carrying a screaming child and lugging along two quarrelling ones and a bag that is dropping supplies because it was packed up in a hurry. Yes, embarrassing. You can then understand my hesitance to stay for Sacrament meeting yesterday when I had already been battling with a very tired Canyon and a very rambunctious Ali (I teach her sunbeams class) for the last two hours.  As always though, I remembered my dad sitting with FIVE of us in Sacrament meeting after he had just gotten off of a graveyard shift and knew I had no excuses.  I had to try. I grabbed one of the pews closest to the doors just in case. Ali and Canyon immediately started decking it out for my lap.  Sweet little Emma sensed my frustration and offered to hold Ali.  Let me quickly note that Ali loves snuggles.  You can diffuse any bad mood or wiggles she has by simply snuggling her.  Emma, on the other hand, can't stand snuggles.  She often has nightmares that Ali is trying to snuggle her. Seriously. So I was flabbergasted and very touched that Emma would offer to "hold" Ali.  Throughout the rest of the meeting Emma snuggled Ali, tickled her forehead and even fed Canyon his snacks and sippy cup (he still insists someone hold his cup). She had everything under control. As I watched her I was overwhelmed with love and gratitude.  What an amazing little girl I have. At one point she leaned over to me and with a little smile said, "This is hard.  Do you ever need a break from holding kids?"  I laughed. And hugged her. 

And because it's been a while how about a little update on my Emma girl?



She just started first grade and absolutely loves it. As I was asking about details of her first day I asked what friends she played with at recess.  She looked at me, shook her head and said, "Mom, I'm in FIRST grade now, we don't PLAY at recess. We sit in the shade and talk."  Good to know.



Emma also started dance a few months ago. She had a busy summer performing at seven peaks, the county fair and in a couple of parades.  It's so fun to watch her dance.  You really see the perfectionist in her shine through.


And my favorite thing about Emma lately?  She is often off wandering the mountain, at least our property of it, with a backpack, water bottle, bug net, magnifying glass, cup of oats (for the deer) and notebook and pencil in hand.  She goes exploring and records all her discoveries in her notebook.  When she returns from her excursions she often asks me to research things with her that she has questions about.  She wants to be a scientist when she grows up.

Pretty fabulous kid I have, huh?

You can't have her.

5 comments:

Mindy said...

Yes! She is fabulous!!! And beautiful! And I love that she helped you in sacrament meeting. That's the sweetest story. :) Hang in there, you're teaching your kids great things. I can't WAIT to take photos of your beautiful family soon!!!

Rachel Holloway said...

WHAT.A.DOLL! She is simply precious. Seriously, you are so very blessed to have such a girl--and she's pretty blessed to have a momma like you! :)

Jen J. said...

What a sweet girl! I love how she helped you in Sacrament meeting. You have pretty darn cute kids!

Krystal said...

What a DOLL! I've always sensed that she is just a sweet little thing. Lucky mama!

Kati said...

Oh my goodness! What a gem! And as a mom that juggles with my kids alone in Sacrament meeting only 50% of the time and only during hunting season, I know the struggles. And that first story about Emma put me to tears. That is so soooo kind! She is amazing!!!! Hyrum wants to be a scientist too... He wanted to be a doctor and a scientist, until I told him that doctors, in a sence, are scientists :)