My kids don't listen to a word I say. In one ear, out the other. I swear it. Something about the way they won't make eye contact and are constantly fidgeting and looking around for their next adventure during our talks lead me to believe this.
But then...they surprise me at the most inopportune times to show they do, in fact, sometimes listen.
I was busy making dinner this week while helping Emma with homework and trying to answer a few business emails on my phone all with Canyon on my hip.
It wasn't going well. Emma looked up and in the sweetest, calmest little voice said, "Maybe you should go to your room for a little while. Bad attitudes are contagious." My words were coming out of her mouth. I was humbled and made a valiant effort to change my attitude since going to my room for a calm down time was out of the question at the moment. If only, though, right? ;)
Second case... we stopped at the gas station on the way to the movie theatre and let the kiddos each pick out a treat. I was explaining to them we would have to sneak them into the theatre in my purse. Emma looked at me quite confused and said, "but that is breaking the rule and lying." Doh!
See what I mean by inopportune times? What a good kid, that one. She keeps me in line.
Speaking of Emma, the results are in and... she WON!!! Her school held a month long reading contest with a prize going to the reader in each grade who logged the most reading minutes.
Emma wanted to win and put all her time and effort into it. She constantly had a book in her lap and a timer going to clock her reading minutes. She would take books and a timer for the bus ride and take books and the timer to bed with her at night and books and the timer with her for in between basketball games...you get the idea.
Here's the thing about Emma, things don't always come easy to her but she tries harder than any kid I've ever seen at everything she does. I have a feeling that heart of gold and dedication will serve her well in life.



4 comments:
WAHOOOOOO!!! Congrats Emma!!! I am so SO happy that her dedication and stamina paid off! It is so heart breaking (even as parents) when they works so hard and aren't rewarded... We are WAY happy for EMMA!!!!!!!
And I like that saying--- bad attitudes are contagious.... I will have to remember that.
"I am so IMPRESSED!!! That could be a once in a life time thing! I hope you like the Magic Tree House books as much as I do!" ---Hyrum
Way to go, Emma!! And you've got some great kidlets there... wiser than we know, huh? ;)
What a great girl! Congrats EM! Keep up the good work (including keeping your parents in line ;).
Post a Comment