Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Cutting the crap in 2013

After much thought and contemplation I have finally decided on a phrase for 2013:

Cut the crap!

Ha!

Maybe I'm naive but I strongly believe that a good 80+% of health problems are caused or aggravated by poor nutrition and lack of physical activity. I was recently listening to an episode of one of my favorite nutrition podcasts and they were once again talking about the amazing and wondrous benefits of eating certain vegetables and fruits.  I kind of had an "why didn't I realize this sooner" moment as it hit me- that is because these are the things God intended us to eat (shockingly, not the Cheetos and processed snack cakes). These are the tools he gave us to take care of our bodies. It's kind of cool if you think about it. I for one have noticed a huge difference in how I feel, not only physically, but mentally and emotionally as well, when I'm eating healthier. 

So my goal for this next year is to really focus on what I am putting into my body.  I want to eat as clean as possible.  Vegetables, fruits, nuts, whole grains and lean proteins will be my friends.  I plan on staying away from processed food and buying locally grown and organic as much as possible. Buuuut... because I'm a girl who loves her treats and occasionally eating out I have decided to go with the 80/20 concept.  Clean and healthy eating for 80% of my weekly calories and 20% for fluff (ahem, cookie Monday).  I don't plan on going completely crazy with the 20% wiggle room but it will be nice to know it's there. 

Diet isn't the only area in my life that I plan on cutting the crap.  I want to be a bit more selective in what I read and watch.  I want to more actively seek out things that are "virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy" if you know what I mean. A little less Netflix in the evenings a lot more spiritual enlightenment.

Its going to be a good year.  

2 comments:

Mindy said...

I'm feeling a little guilty about my empty bag of m&ms sitting next to me...

Rachel Holloway said...

I am on the same page as you--though, maybe a little more 50/50--because I have a long way to go to get to that point. But working on it more than I ever have....
And definitely spending my evenings a little more peaceful...and less entertained.