Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Glacier National Park

Three years ago me and went to Glacier National Park and ever since then I have been dying to go back. After leaving Ron and Michele's we spent 4 days and 4 nights in Glacier. I was in heaven. While I was meandering to the restroom on the morning we left I was so sad as I looked around. I wanted to stay forever. Me and Dave have a plan though. When we retire we are going to be camp hosts during the summers. How awesome is that! I tell you Glacier has it all, amazing hikes, nice clean Lakes to swim and fish in, snow, waterfalls, scenic dirt roads, etc. Anyways let me give you a breakdown of our adventures.
Day One: Arrived at camp, napped, drove the going-to-the-sun road (this road is 50 miles of some of the most breathtaking scenery ever!). While on our drive we hiked Deadwood Falls (2 miles). The high temp that day, 96 degrees. Yes we went hiking in the dead of the heat
. I was teasing Dave and told him if I would have known I would be hiking 6 1/2 months pregnant in the high nineties I don't know if I would have still married him. Hehe j/k, it wasn't like he was twisting my arm or anything. That night we took a mile stroll down to apgar village to sit at the Lake and meander the shops. Oh yes I forgot to tell Em's funny nap story. So my child talks in her sleep. Me and Dave were sitting in our camp chairs and we heard Emma giggling and making animal noises. We peeked in the tent and she was fast asleep. Little monkey!
Day Two: We decided to beat the heat and go hiking in the morning. We did my absolute favorite hike ever. We hiked up to avalanche lake (4 miles).
This lake is amazing. It has five waterfalls that fall into it. Me and Emma played in the water while Dave fished. We spent hours up there. After our hike we headed back to camp to get into our swimsuits. We spent the rest of the day swimming and playing in Lake McDonald (the Lake by our campsite). High temp 93.
Day Three: We spent the morning hiking the trail of the cedars. We chose it because it is only about a mile hike on boardwalks, so Emma could do it. It was breathtaking! The boardwalks took us through a forest of Cedar trees around 100 ft tall and from the 1500s. It almost made you dizzy to look up. We also passed rivers and waterfalls. Emma found herself a little hiking stick to use.
So a quick funny story for you. While hiking Emma pointed to a tree and informed us that "Emma go pee-pee on tree" you can tell she had been hanging out with her daddy a lot. We took a lovely nap and that afternoon we hiked to Hidden Lake (3 miles). This hike was crazy! It was all in the snow. Yes I said snow! We saw tons of big horn sheep, mountain goats and marmots on this trail. It was awesome! High temp 83.
Day Four: We decided to really venture into the unknown and took a "diggin road" up to Bowman Lake. While at Bowman Lake we saw a grandma in a bikini going kayaking. I tell ya old people like that give me hope hehe. We were having a great time fishing and playing in the water when all of a sudden a huge storm rolled in. The wind was crazy. Poor little Emma couldn't stand up. The calm, serene lake went wild. It was a lot of fun to watch! That night we took the mile stroll to apgar village for ice-cream and souvenirs and then spent the rest of the evening hanging by the campfire. High temp 73.
Seriously, this is the best trip I have ever been on. We had so much fun!! Oh man I do have to say though the one thing I don't miss, meandering to the bathroom in the middle of the night in bear country. That really gets your heart a beating! I would risk the bears again to go back though. We had originally planned to hit Yellowstone on the way home but after looking at maps and seeing all the miles and time it added we decided to bypass. So we drove straight home from glacier. Emma was a trooper and didn't even complain about our 10 1/2 hr. car ride. What a trooper. As an ending note, I love Glacier!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fun trip. I haven't been to Glacier in years. My favorite trips with our kids are the "away from civilization" trips where you can just have simple, fulfilling fun.

Emily said...

Oh Brittney how wonderful! Did Emma hike all four miles with you? I cannot believe that you are 6 1/2 months pregnant and trudging around the wilderness! Have I ever mentioned how much you inspire me? Well, keep on keepin' on girl. Love ya.

Dave said...

honey we have only been back for a few days and I'm ready to go camping again.