Monday, July 6, 2009

Fourth Festivities

I love the 4th of July. I love how there is always so many FREE, family-oriented activities to do, you can never fit them all in. We started off our 4th by taking the wee ones to the parade. Dave worked the night before so he tried his hardest to catch a few Zzzzs before the parade started. Emma decided to catch up on some sleep too, and well what Emma does, Ali does...

Poor Dave.

The monkeys sure love him ;)


Speaking of loooove, the girls LOVED the parade.

Well the first two hours of it anyway, after that they were just too tired and full of candy (and in Ali's case, wrappers) to care anymore.

They were so cute to watch...


They waved...


They danced (shown here is Emma doing her patented dance "the milkshake" to the marching band tune)

They sat politely on the curb and raised their hands for candy. I'm not sure why. While all the other kids were dashing off for some candy they sat quietly on the curb waiting for it to come to them. And ya know what? Most of the time it did. They were so stinkin' cute sitting there with their little hand's raised that almost every float threw a handful right to them.

Just goes to show there is no need to be obnoxious at parades ;).

We had some other activities planned but decided to scrap them for one of my FAVORITE activities ever...family naptime. It was delicious. Simply delicious.

That evening we headed to the fireworks with our good friends/neighbors.

We took a feast!!! The main course...fried chicken, baby! Let me explain why that is so exciting. I love fried chicken (one of my dirty little secrets). Love. It. Dave hates it. That coupled with the fact that it is EXTREMELY bad for the bod, we never buy it (or make it). I haven't had fried chicken for 4 years. I quite enjoyed it. In fact I was so busy stuffing my face and chatting it up I hardly took any pictures. Yup, that's how good the food/company was ;).


We did take a break from eating and headed over to see the cannons.
We actually were talking to the guy who is in charge of them when it was time to fire them off so we got a front row seat (in the taped off section) to watch them blow. I jumped so high and just about dropped Emma. It was pretty impressive.

Anyway, enough rambling. I hope you all had a happy 4th...

filled with taffy, fireworks and fried chicken ;).

2 comments:

Jess Young said...

Sounds like a fun, great day. Thankfully no fried chicken on my fourth (I'm sure that comes as a shock to you!) But we did have yummy turkey kabobs

HappyHodges said...

So glad you guys had a great holiday! The girls look adorable as always!