Sunday, July 12, 2009

Moonlight Madness

( Sunset from the causeway of Antelope Island)

Friday Dave and I participated in another cycling event. This one was the coolest one yet. It differed from the other two I've done this summer in a couple of ways.
  • It was a short event, only 24 miles. Which means, we were able to take the girls. They were SUPER excited to be able to go. SUPER EXCITED.
  • It took place at night...in the dark. The ride started at 10:00 pm. We strapped some head-lamps to our helmets for our only source of light (besides the moon, which was actually hiding behind clouds 90% of the time).

The ride took place on Antelope Island. Which meant, no cars to worry about (well, besides the two ambulances and three cop cars, but that's another story ;)). Just a sea of other bikers. I can't even begin to explain how exhilarating it was barreling downhill at midnight, in the dark, praying I didn't hit a pothole, another biker or a buffalo (yes, they warned us about hitting buffalo). What a rush. The course was pretty hilly, which totally rocked. I think all the runs Dave and I have done up Farmington canyon are starting to pay off. I was actually, you ready for this, PASSING bikers on the hills. Lots of them. My weakness has always been climbing so I was quite pleased.

I loved riding as a family. The first half of the ride the girls were wide awake laughing and screaming "YE-HAW" on all the downhills. We stopped at the old ranch for a snack break and someone actually asked Emma if that was her they heard walloping.

My pajama clad little monkeys received a lot of attention at the snack barn.

They were so cute. The second half of the ride they finally crashed, hard, out cold. The riders were also more dispersed so Dave and I were able to enjoy a romantic moon-lit ride. The city lights were glowing and reflecting on the water...it was beautiful.


What an awesome event.

Definitely one we will have to do again!

4 comments:

HappyHodges said...

Man that is awesome! Sign me up for next year!!! I love your description and the moonlit romance ride sounds divine!

Jess Young said...

So how is 5 People you meet in Heaven. Let me know if its worth reading. I still need to read Tuesdays with Morrie

jessi9380 said...

Wow, cool pictures! Sounds like a lot of fun. :-)

Krystal said...

That sounds so fun! What a great adventure. The girls did look cute and deserved all the attention they could get!
I tell ya, after our first ride yesterday, I am one hurting mama!! I had no idea that my buns would hurt so bad!! And that was just around Brigham city - I can't imagine 24 MILES on my hurtin' toosh! Hope it gets better with time....do you get calluses for something like this??? hehe - now that wouldbe funny!