Sunday, September 6, 2009

Cookies, bikes and flowers

Friday, I did the unthinkable and ate 3/4 of a bag of double chocolate Milano cookies all by myself. Surprisingly, I didn't feel too guilty about it either. First of all, because we bought them from the pepperidge farms factory in Richmond, which means they were dirt cheap. Second of all, because that day I burned close to 5,000 calories. So even though the devilish cookies were a whopping 70 calories PER cookie, I was able to eat with a peace of mind.

Now, if you are wondering what in the world I was doing in Richmond eating thrift cookies on a factory lawn and still claiming to burn 5,000 calories, I'll fill you in. Or you could just skip my ramblings and read Dave's blog here.

I really wanted to get another century ride in before the end of the summer, because after all who knows if I will be in biking shape next summer, if ya know what I mean. Anyway, I had originally planned on doing the cache valley century with my two favorite biking partners, Dave and my Dad, but ended up not being able to. So, the three of us set up our own, self-supported, century ride this past Friday. We started and ended at my parents house in Hyrum with the turn around point in Preston, Id. It was a gorgeous ride all on country back roads. There was sight seeing, laughing, story telling, climbing, quiet riding with a chance for some inner reflection, a feast of wild plums and choke cherries, a near bonk, tired legs, sore bums and lots of smiles. It was a GREAT ride. One I will never forget. All in all we biked 103 miles.

The icing on the cake that day was when I walked into my parents house and my wee ones jumped out from behind a chair (wearing princess crowns) and yelled, "SUUUPISSSE". They gave me flowers and Dave a shirt.

They, with help from my mom, had decorated the house with balloons and crepe paper and home-made posters that said, "Yay Mommy, 100 miles!!!" and one that said, "Congrats Daddy!!" with a helicopter on it. I started to sniffle and wipe my eyes. It was the sweetest thing ever. We then had a rocking party with bubbly cider, steaks and ice cream cake. Seriously, I can't even begin to explain how much that little party meant to me. I gave the ride my all, seriously, everything I had. It was a fun ride, but at times, really hard. Just having that acknowledged meant the world to me. My parents, if you haven't guessed are quite amazing. I sure love them.

*Sorry, the only picture I snapped was one of my flowers the next day. I'm kicking myself for not taking the camera. Dave did capture one of me , with his phone, at Newton res. clutching tightly to a bag of banana chips. Good ol' Dave. I love him. I'm just full of love ;)*

2 comments:

HappyHodges said...

I am so super proud of you! I even got teary eyed just reading about your accomplishments! Way to go and way to know how to celebrate with the ones you love!

Kati said...

That party is sooooo cute! Congrats Britt!