Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Celebrating, focaccia style

Woo-Hoo, another pregnancy aversion overcome! This one was a big one...bread. Bread, as you can imagine, is everywhere. It's absolutely grand to be able to see AND eat it and not get sick. To celebrate overcoming this aversion the monkeys and I made some yummy focaccia bread. It was so yummy, in fact, I had to share the recipe. By the way, it makes the best turkey, avocado and Swiss sandwiches.


Focaccia Bread


10 1/2 cups white bread flour or wheat flour (do NOT use all-purpose)
1/2 cup sugar
1 TB salt
3 TB yeast
3 TB liquid lecithin
4 cups hot tap water

Mix dry ingredients. Add lecithin and water. Mix for 1 minute. If dry, add more water. Dough should be very sticky. Mix 5 more minutes. Shape (roll it out on a cookie sheet) and cover. Raise 25 minutes. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Cut into squares and if using it for sandwiches slice the squares in half.

*For wheat add one cup applesauce and 1 additional tablespoon lecithin. Mix 10 minutes.*

This recipe makes 4 loaves. I halved it only made 2. I also made the wheat version and instead of using applesauce I used 1 cup of canned, fire-roasted tomatoes to add more flavor to the bread. I also mixed in some fresh sage, garlic and parmesan. After shaping it I drizzled it with a little bit of olive oil and rubbed some more of the spices onto the top.

Enjoy!

Now, if I can just get over my chocolate, Cafe Rio and Walmart aversions life will be even brighter ;).

Oh wait, one last thing before I go. I can now feel my little one moving! Funny enough, the first time I felt those unmistakable flutters was after Zumba last week. Haha, I guess baby wanted to do some shaking of it's own. I tell you what though, those little flutters and kicks always make me smile and all of a sudden I don't mind the never-ending barfing and missing out on this year's biking season nearly as much.

6 comments:

Mindy said...

Mmmmm! My pregnant sis in law has an aversion to Cafe Rio too. It makes me sad for her. ;)

HappyHodges said...

Sounds delicious! Ella and I may need to try this recipe;) Glad you are starting to be able to get something down! oh and those flutters... I think I just kinda missed being pregnant for a sec while reading that, but then I remembered the rest of my pregnancy and those wants quickly vanishing!

Jess Young said...

How exciting to feel her, sorry I mean him, move! And yeah for bread!

Kati said...

I am so happy to hear you can eat Bread!!! Congrats!!!!! WAlmart make me sick too... Or is it the mcdonalds just inside the door????

Kati said...

Oh and I am so glad you can feel your little baby!!!! Yahoo!!!!

Jackson Family said...

Hey Brittany!!

I was wondering, what do you charge per session and what all is included? I'm toying with the idea of starting up my own little business, and I'm gathering information on pricing, etc... so I can come up with my own system.
Love the pictures! You are so talented! Thanks!

Heather (Oviatt) Jackson