Friday, March 4, 2011

On Snow

Lately, we have been spending a lot of our time outside in the snow. 


And to think, I always thought I hated snow.  Ha!  I just didn't know what real snow was!  The stuff we have here is clean, fluffy, deep and just a heck of a lot of fun.


 The girls can't get enough of it.  They will play outside for hours at a time. 


One of our absolute favorite things to do as a family is head out on a snowy hike.  Dave pulls Emma in a sled with Howie following after.  I pull Ali in a different sled with Canyon strapped to my chest.  We hike and climb for as long as we can and then we hop in the sleds and slide on home.



 It works out quite well that we live on a mountain where any direction you go you are either heading up or down.  It also works out quite well that the roads are always covered in snow. 

Another thing we are just discovering is a load of fun out here...cross country skiing. 



It's so nice to be able to head right out the front door and go... no packing up all the gear and driving.  Of course the hills make it a bit interesting.  We are planning to ski across the lake for my birthday, though.  I'm quite excited for that excursion.

Like everything else the snow does have its downside.  For example there was the time I got stuck on my way home from picking up Emma from the bus stop.  I tried for a good 20 minutes to get un-stuck but finally had to grab my little chickens and hike on home.  The embarrassing part?  I got stuck at the top of our driveway.  I dread the day a big storm hits and Dave isn't here to plow us out.  I suppose it's about time I buck up and learn, though.  Or maybe I'll just get the girls to teach me how to shovel ;). 



All in all, I have discovered I'm a huge fan of the white stuff.

3 comments:

Rachel Holloway said...

so glad you're finding the bright side to living in the deep white stuff! :) You guys have such a fun, adventurous family and I love how you're embracing it!

Kati said...

Love the pictures!!!! I am so happy to hear about your new lifes! And I am so happy Canyon Man slept EIGHT hours! Hip hip horray!

Breezi@ Not Your Average Fairytale said...

We had a cabin growing up- and each member of our family had a snowmobile. That's pretty much the only times when I enjoyed snow.

I love how you are making such an adventure out of daily life! :D