Sunday, June 22, 2008

My favorite children's books

I am a huge advocate for reading to your child. Research has proven many important benefits come from reading aloud to your child. A few important ones I have found are as follows
  • Reading aloud helps to bond the parent and child

  • Being read to helps a child to understand the purpose of the printed word.

  • Being read to builds a child's vocabulary beyond what he is able to read for himself, and provides the background for a new reader to recognize new words he is decoding because he knows what they mean.

  • Being read to helps a young child learn the connection between the written and printed word.

  • Being read to entices a child into an exciting world of learning and entertainment
  • Being read to helps a child absorb great amounts of information about the world and how it works, especially if parents lead children into discussing what is read.
  • Being read to develops listening skills.

  • Reading books aloud gives the family an alternative to the media for entertainment.

Through work and class requirements I have spent many, many hours in preschool and k-3 classes. It is interesting to note that I could usually tell within a few minutes of working with a child if their parents spent one-on-one time with them at home reading or working on homework with them. It makes a difference. It really does. Books are also a great way to work through problems that your child is dealing with. When we had Ali, Emma and I spent a lot of time reading stories about new babies and big sisters. We have also spent time reading stories about potty training, sharing, not hitting, etc.

So now that I have stood on my soap box (whats that mean anyway?) and preached about something I am passionate about I am going to share some of my favorite children's books with you.

This book is entertaining but heart wrenching. It really makes you, as a parent, see things a little different.

Good ol' Dr. Seuss. I love how this book is all about the highs and lows we face in life.

This is my absolute favorite children's book. An essential for any little girl.

I read this book to my kids almost every night. Its a fun way to get wiggles out before bedtime.

These are only a handful of my favorites, I could go on and on but I figured I have bored you long enough. Not to mention Mindy is probably now completely convinced that I am in fact a nerd, hehe. Anyway, if you have any favorites please feel free to share in the comments section.

8 comments:

Kati said...

I love when people get on their "soap box" and talk about passions! I love that Dr. Suess book, I have a friend whose husband graduated as a pilot and as a graduation gift they gave each grad that book, cute huh!! I love all Dr. Suess! Books are absolutley wonderful- both my boys are addicts! I have started reading novels to them- so far, not too successful... I have read them Freckle Juice and right now the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn- that I have to read in advace, because I have to cut our the murders, beatings, and robbery- I had no idea all that was in that book! I remember loving the movie! Hyrum loves hearing about the stories within the story, but I can't get Paul to have any interest- Any suggestions? He loves picture books "Fidgetly Fish and Friends" and "Good Night Moon" are his favorites. Hyrum loves the "Magic School Bus" the one about the heart and blood cells. He thanks Heavenly Father everyday for his red and white blood cells- it is cute! Hyrum loves all all ALL books!

Your vactaion looks fun! I am so glad you guys went and have such great memories to look back on!

Krystal said...

I am so glad you had this post! I am always looking for new, cute books to read to Addyson. Some of her (and my) favorites are: What did they see? by John Schindel (this one keeps the child guessing until the end...it's great!), K is for Kissing a cool Kangaroo by Giles Andreae (this one is just silly and Addy loves that), Ellie - The Perfect Dress for Me! by C.M. Rubin (Really cute for girls), and Jamberry by Bruce Degen (another silly one that makes your toungue twist.) Hope there is something new for you in this list! Enjoy!

HappyHodges said...

Oh Britt, I already knew you were a total nerd, but so am I and this makes our friendship even closer! And you already know how HUGE reading to kids is to me, I mean you have seen my collection of childrens books and that was started long before this baby girl was even a thought!

Adam said...

I would have to go with some great Shel Silverstein books. "Where the Sidewalk Ends" is probably my favorite followed closely by "The Giving Tree."

Jessica Adamson said...

Three out of the four are also my favorites....I've never read shake my sillies out, but I will have to pick it up....my other favorites are:

*You are my I love you
*Heckedy Peg
*Piglet and Mama
*Love you Forever
*The Rainbabies

Michele said...

Tell me again about the night I was born by Jamie Lee Curtis; Parts; More Parts;(both are laugh out loud books) What Makes A Rainbow; All Eric Carles Books; Tails (touch & feel); Love The Anne of Green Gables books!

Jess Young said...

okay, so now you'll have to add another thing on your side column organizing all these awesome kid books. Speaking of books... I just finished Stephanie Meyers new book "The Host" have you read it yet. It is really good.

Kay said...

I have to add my list of favorite kid books as well. I hope that is ok with you. My kids all loved the Mercer Mayer books... "Little Critter" But some of my new favorites are:
"Piggy Pie" by Margie Palatini
"When Cows Come Home" by David L Harrison
"The Big Hungry Bear" by Don and Audrey Wood
"How I Beacame a Priate" by Melinda Long (Great pictures)
"Love You Forever" by Robert Munsch
"Guess How Much I Love You" by Sam McBratney
And too many more to name.