Saturday, August 7, 2010

Big Sister(s)

After I had Canyon I couldn't wait for the girls to meet him. They had both been SO excited my whole pregnancy. As soon as Emma walked through the door later that day I had her climb up on the hospital bed and after giving her a big hug I gave her Canyon. Her look in this picture pretty much says it all.

By the way, she totally dressed herself that day, can you tell? The biking jersey over a dress with a messy ponytail and a princess crown is sooo Emma. Love it. Anyway back to the story at hand, Emma was completely swept away by the little man. She just glowed with excitement. Even though both sets of grandparents and some friends were there she wouldn't let anyone else hold him. When my mom asked if she could Emma responded, "No, but you can look at him." She studied him and ooohed and ahhhed over every little detail...his ears...his noes...his fingers...his toes. She cooed and sang to him. My favorite part was when she leaned in close to him and asked, "Baby, do you remember me? It was me always talking to you." You see, the whole pregnancy Emma was continually talking to my belly. Emma also told me she knew that babies were a lot of work so she would gladly take care of him and I could take care of "Ballerina (aka Ali)" that way it wouldn't be so much work. Suffice to say, Emma was smitten.

Ali, on the other hand, wanted nothing to do with the baby. She climbed up in my lap and grunted and glared at anyone who tried to get her to have anything to do with the baby. I figured in her own time she would come around. After all the room was full of people, she had just been woken up from a nap and she had been missing me. And you know what?

She warmed up to little Canyon faster than I thought. After everyone headed out and it was just me and the girls with the baby Ali started inquisitively poking Canyon and looking at him. When I layed Canyon down she layed down right next to him.

She has been in love with him ever since. In fact the next day when she came to visit she had a moment of panic when she came in and there was no baby (he was getting his hearing test done). She now announces to anyone and everyone that she is a big sister. Being a big sister is pretty much the coolest thing ever in her book.

After I had Ali, Emma went through a really hard transition phase. Tantrums galore. I was really worried Ali might go through something similar this time. But both girls have surprised us. They have both been amazing little helpers. They are constantly asking to hold him or feed him. When they are out on dates with daddy they send video messages telling Canyon how much they love him. They borderline smother him. Yup, no doubt about it, they LOVE their little brother...maybe even a little too much ;).

2 comments:

Tania Farr said...

Oh my goodness. These pictures are precious.

Jess Young said...

What great 'big' girls. Love the pictures.