Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Just Random

Kindergarten. Oh, how it scares me. Emma starts in less than a week. I'm most nervous about how she will fare on the bus and in the lunchroom. My baby. I'm also nervous about how Ali will survive without her all day. And how I will survive without her. Last night Emma sensed my mood and drew us all a very detailed picture of our little family (down to little Howie) all standing under a rainbow together so we can look at it when she is at school and not miss her as much.

*********

Dave was holding Canyon on his chest yesterday and made the comment that Canyon is now SO big and there is no way he would be able to fit in his tummy. Haha, I know, I gave Dave a double take after that random comment. Anyway, I had to laugh at Canyon's dr. apt later that day when he weighed in just over 7 lbs and was 19 1/2 inches long. Yup, completely impossible to carry a baby that big in your tummy ;).

*********

The other night I was snuggling Ali in her bed and was telling her how happy I am that she belongs to our family. She looked up at me and in all seriousness asked, "Where you get me at? You buy me from the Oreo store (aka WalMart)?". Apparently WalMart does sell everything...even children. Who knew? Not to worry, we had a long talk on where she really came from and then Ali ended the conversation by saying, "...and I'll go back and live with Heavenly Father if I don't wear my seatbelt." I should probably stop threatening her with death every time she takes her seatbelt off.


**********

Thanks to bountiful baskets and some awesome neighbors we have zucchini and carrots coming out of our ears. I experimented a little bit and baked up a whole bunch of Jumbo, whole-grain zucchini carrot muffins. I love them. Plus, they freeze well. Score.

*********

I am a firm believer in exercise during pregnancy. I didn't exercise regularly when I was pregnant with Emma and Ali. I wish I would have. I was too nervous about miscarrying because it takes us so long to get pregnant. I know that's silly because my doctor always assured me exercise wouldn't cause miscarriage but I just couldn't shake the fear....until this last pregnancy. Exercise during pregnancy has many benefits. One of them...regaining your pre-pregnancy body faster. And wow! Do I ever attest to that. This recovery has been AMAZING. Honestly, some mild post cramping is all I really had to deal with. No soreness. Nothing. The day before I went in to have Canyon I was at the gym working out and only a week later I was running and biking again. I was actually feeling good enough to start back up again when Canyon was only a couple of days old but decided to let my body rest just a bit longer. I'm also losing the baby weight a lot faster than I have before. It's been three weeks and I'm down 30 lbs. A miracle for me. So yes, firm believer and supporter of exercise during pregnancy.

***********

I have SO many books I'm longing to read. I keep thinking I can get some reading time in while nursing or when I'm up all night with Canyon but for some reason it never happens. Hmmm. I'm starting to wonder if I'll even get this month's pick from my book club read.

***********

I am so baby hungry. Haha, I know that sounds odd considering I just had one. Every little milestone Canyon has reached in his short three weeks has been bittersweet. I have LOVED watching him grow and become more alert and take on his own little look, but oh, it hurts a bit to realize this is the last time I get to enjoy each phase. Let's just say I've been doing a lot more holding and snuggling knowing he is our last.

**********

Ali's new role as "big sister!" has brought out a side of her we have never seen before. She has shocked us all by how loving and nurturing she has become. She is always kissing and hugging on Canyon, folding his clothes and blankets, bringing him her special toys and blankets, and really just taking meticulous care of him. In fact, she turned down dessert the other night in order to give Canyon a bottle. WHAT?!?! Yeah, we were all shocked.

**********

At Costco the other day I was introduced to yogurt creamies. Oh, sweet heaven. I wind down with one nightly and hardly feel guilty about it considering they have the same amount of calories as a banana.

**********

I'll end with a recent question Emma asked...."Mom, if Canyon is sooooo tiny then why was your tummy SO BIG?!". Haha, that kid.

3 comments:

Kati said...

I love hearing about those joyful moments in your home!!!

Rachel Holloway said...

so many things!! :)
School will be good--promise. Give it a couple days and then you will love her being gone because you know she is having SO much fun!! :)

I am glad you're dropping the pounds so fast! It definitely helps when you feel good again--

Jess Young said...

Those aren't random. They are wonderful.