Thursday, August 26, 2010

On Food

produce


I've mentioned before that Dave and I pretty much have completely different tastes in food. He likes the tried and true comfort dishes with lots of meat...lasagna, spaghetti, tacos, ect. I, on the other hand, like to try new recipes, lighter dishes, fresher dishes, dishes with lots of flavor. Lately, a miracle has happened in our house...Dave is converting. Haha, don't get me wrong the comfort dishes are still his favorite but he has actually been trying and ummm ENJOYING some new creations. We owe this new miracle to...dun-nuh-nuh-nuh...Bountiful Baskets! Oh how I love it. This summer I have been planning my weekly menu around the produce we get every Saturday morning. It has been so much fun! I get to try out new recipes weekly. For example, some of the recipes I've made this week

Panzanella (YUM-O!!)

Mango-Orange Smoothies

Turkey and Wild Rice Stuffed Peppers (one of my absolute FAVORITE new recipes)

Spinach and Roasted Red Pepper Frittatas with Feta cheese (Frittatas are now a staple in our house)

Red Grapefruit Yogurt Cake

Making dinner is now something I look forward to. So, not only has Bountiful Baskets saved us money on our food budget and helped us eat healthier (all of the above dishes are under 200 calories per serving, low in fat and packed with nutrients) but it has also eased the food tension in my marriage. Sweet, I tell you, just sweet.

By the way, I have every intention of starting to post some of my favorite recipes. Heh, we'll see how that pans out ;)

3 comments:

Jess Young said...

Yes, I would love some recipes, like the frittatas,and stuffed peppers and what is panzanella? Where do you find your recipes?

Brittney said...

Man, from anywhere really. I have a ton of cooking magazines and books. Also, google is great! I usually find a recipe and then healthy it up and substitute for ingredients I have. I'll work on posting or emailing you some. Haha, you may have to remind me if I forget.

Oh and panzanella is a Tuscan bread salad. So good! Crusty French bread chunks mixed with fresh veggies (I used tomatoes, an English cucumber, red onions and some fresh basil) and then a light dressing (I just used a bit of olive oil).

Rachel Holloway said...

SO YUMMY! We don't have the bountiful baskets out here, bummer--because everyone says such good things about them! So glad you've found that happy medium... :) YUM!