Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Week 5: weigh-in

Man, this last week was awesome!  I worked my butt off and got 2+ hours of either biking, running, circuits, zumba, the elliptical or a mix of all them in every day and stayed well below my calorie limit all week.  So, imagine my surprise when I hopped on the scale and it didn't budge, -.1 lb...are you freaking kidding me? Gah! I think it's safe to say I've hit a plateau. I felt discouraged for a good 10 minutes and then decided to do what I usually do when faced with a problem...study up on it.  After a lot of reading I have a game plan of how to hopefully break through this plateau.  I'll save you the whys and research and bla, bla, bla of it all.  Basically it comes down to the fact that I need to shake things up a bit, both diet and exercise wise. On to the game plan...

1. Focus on speed work.  In both biking and running I've been working on endurance and hills. This week I'm going to do a lot of sprinting and interval training.

2. Up my weights and repetitions during circuits.

3. 2-4 days of low-carb eating. 

4. Instead of eating 1000 calories every day I'm going to eat 1300 one day, 700 the next, 1000 the next and so on.  Hopefully the up and downs of my caloric intake will shock my body a bit.

5. Make sure I am getting a good 7-9 hours of sleep every night.

6. Last but not least drink a whole lot of  water, water, water! I have always considered myself a huge water drinker but was surprised to find out I don't drink nearly as much as I should.

Wish me luck.  This is the last week of the competition and I am literally neck and neck for first place.  I would sure hate to kiss away the winning pot now. I have biiiig plans for it. Namely, buying new clothes that actually fit.

One more thing...run to your kitchen now and throw 1 cup of vanilla almond milk, a frozen banana, a handful of spinach, a pinch of flax seeds and some ice in a blender.  It won't be pretty (think brown sludge) but it will be the most delicious thing you have ever partaken of.  Promise.

Week 1: -6.6 lbs
Week 2: -2 lbs
Week 3: -4 lbs
Week 4: -1.4 lbs
Week 5: -.1 lb

Total = 14.1 lbs

2 comments:

Kati said...

My bet is on YOU!!! You can do it Britt! Sprints will do WONDERS! Well--- that is what Runners World claims also.

Mindy said...

I've heard a lot of people say interval training is where it's at. :) Good luck!