Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Alligator Pie

I am constantly looking for new and fun activities to do with Emma. Today at story time the topic was crazy food. They did the cutest activity that I thought I would share with you all. It was so simple but the kids went crazy over it. I'm sharing in hopes that you will return the favor and share any fun activities, songs, books etc. you have come across with me. My bored, almost 3 year old, will thank you.

Cut a circle out of construction paper and fold it over and staple it leaving the top open. Cut a triangle shape slit in it. This is the "Pie". Let your child color and decorate it. Then give your child some magazine pages or food ads and let them cut out different objects they find appealing, for example, Emma cut out pictures of pizza, pickles, crackers, a sun, etc. The pictures then fit inside the pie. Here comes the best part, you sing

Alligator pie, alligator pie,
If I don't get some I think I'm going to die.
Give away the green grass, give away the sky,
But don't give away my alligator pie.

Then repeat the song over but instead of using Alligator substitute the word with one of the pictures in your child's pie., example, Emma picked out the sun so we would sing,

sunshine pie, sunshine pie,
If I don't get some I think I'm going to die.
Give away the green grass, give away the sky,
But don't give away my sunshine pie.

I hope that makes sense. Its really cute and all the kids at story time really got into it and were laughing and having a good old time. Please leave any ideas for me in the comments. Thanks :)

9 comments:

HappyHodges said...

That is so cute! But one terrible thing, I was jut picking up my house (I know don't be shocked!) and I found Emmas pie in the couch! I will be sure to bring it ASAP.

Dave said...

I wish I could have been there. I want to see the pie when I get home (provided I don't have to spend two hours at the vet again).

Krystal said...

That is such a fun, creative idea. I love doing that kind of stuff with Addy - thanks for the tip. She enjoys those simple activities. I will have to look through my stuff and see what I can find for you. Hopefully I can help. Thanks again!!

Jess Young said...

Aubrey has had to be kind of creative to entertain her kids during all the packing. Here are some things she has been doing with them: Making trains out of cardboard boxes and taking stuffed animals for rides in them. Cutting arm and head holes out of the boxes and being robots, do a separate box for the head with eye holes cut out. There's a lot you can do with those moving boxes.

The Morton Family said...

HOLY COW! Such a cute idea!
I am also going to attempt putting together some kid friendly activities for this summer, to get us outside, and moving!
I am actually really thinking about hitting the dinosaur park in Ogden one day. I will let you know when, and we still need to get with Kati, and Jess, and EVERYONE else, and plan a zoo day!
Hugs!

The Morton Family said...

HOLY COW! Such a cute idea!
I am also going to attempt putting together some kid friendly activities for this summer, to get us outside, and moving!
I am actually really thinking about hitting the dinosaur park in Ogden one day. I will let you know when, and we still need to get with Kati, and Jess, and EVERYONE else, and plan a zoo day!
Hugs!

The Morton Family said...

HOLY COW! Such a cute idea!
I am also going to attempt putting together some kid friendly activities for this summer, to get us outside, and moving!
I am actually really thinking about hitting the dinosaur park in Ogden one day. I will let you know when, and we still need to get with Kati, and Jess, and EVERYONE else, and plan a zoo day!
Hugs!

The Morton Family said...

HOLY COW! Such a cute idea!
I am also going to attempt putting together some kid friendly activities for this summer, to get us outside, and moving!
I am actually really thinking about hitting the dinosaur park in Ogden one day. I will let you know when, and we still need to get with Kati, and Jess, and EVERYONE else, and plan a zoo day!
Hugs!

Michele said...

Cute, did that book I gave you give you some ideas?