Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Yahoo

Tonight is my last night alone! This is Dave's last night shift for the U. Of course I sent him with a big bowl full of cookies to wish night shift farewell. He will still have to work an occasional night for the ambulance but I can handle that. Its hard when I only get to sleep with him one night out of seven. I'm so excited. The downer is he won't be able to see the girls much on the days he works. That is one of the reason he has been resistant to switch. He will leave as they are just getting up and get home after they are in bed. I am in the process of stretching their bedtime out to 8:00 so they can see Daddy for at least 1/2 an hour. They are resisting. Surprisingly Ali more so than Emma. Did I mention Ali now sleeps in 10-11 hr stretches at night! Anyway I am so excited to have Dave home in the evenings! Although that is my designated house cleaning time, hmmm. Ah well. Did I mention I'm excited. Night shifts have really started to take their toll on Dave. He gets severe headaches that last days and that nothing will touch. We can only pinpoint them to lack of sleep. As a family we have gotten used to his crazy schedule and made the best of it. Days will take some adjusting for all of us but I think be well worth it! Cross your fingers it works out!

5 comments:

HappyHodges said...

I am so excited for you! Although Adam only worked until like 2 when he was at Albertsons, I still hated it, and am so happy he is on regular days now and would never want to go back!

Emmy Bludorn said...

I remember those night shift headaches. Matt would have them constantly. The first thing he would do everyday when he got up was pop some ibuprofin, but it never helped. Matt has been a whole new person since he has had a normal schedule again. That's why I would get so mad when his job down here would throw night shifts into his schedule.
You'll enjoy having Dave "back".

Michele said...

There crossed!

Teddy, Scott, & baby Jane said...

Oh man, we are going to miss Dave at nights! I feel your pain when it comes to night shifts (except for I'm the one working them), but it's so hard on Scotty to be home alone and I hate being at work knowing that he is! So I am down to only one full night now and it's the best. I'm happy you guys can sleep together now b/c that is important, you will be much better off. Thank you for the yummy cookies as well! They were sure delicious! Good luck with the new sched!

Kati said...

Yahoo! I am so excited for you! You have been a brave woman to be home at night so much- I am a chicken. Have I ever mentioned to you that I have never had a child sleep a 10-11 hrs in a row...