Monday, March 16, 2009

A hiking vacation


Well Jess guessed it, or half guessed it anyway. We spent two days last week hiking around Zion national park. On our way home we stopped at Bryce National park for a day of exploring. Oh happiness, we had a GREAT time! Here's a look at some of the things we did on our mini vacation.

Played in the sunshine

We went on many 1-2 miler hikes where the girls were able to hike on their own and explore along the way. These hikes actually took more time than some of our longer hikes because the girls kept finding the most AMAZING things they had to stop and look at. You know, a pretty rock, a bush and every body of water we passed ;)

Introduced the girls to the sport of bouldering



yeah Emma wasn't that into it, check her face ;).

Hiked Angels landing...with the girls on our backs.
I am quite proud of this accomplishment. For those of you who don't know Angels landing is a pretty strenuous hike and the last half a mile involves some rock-climbing with a cliff on either side of you. We received MANY comments, some good, some bad. I'll share a few because they all made me laugh
  • "There is NO way you are going to make it!" We got this from several different hikers. In fact after our hike we headed for a local pizza joint because we were FAMISHED. This couple came up to us all excited and asked, "Did you make it?!?! All the way to the top?! I couldn't even remember them but when we told them we had they let us know they had been betting against us making it. haha, showed them ;).
  • "WOW"
  • "Dude that guy must be a local and do this stuff all the time." Dave was slightly ahead of me and I passed by two guys who were talking about him.
  • "Good for you!"
  • "They are crazy, I'd be scared for my kids' lives.


At the beginning of the hike with Angels landing in the background

How we rolled, and no, Ali is not dead, just fast asleep.


Ahhh what fun.

Dave and Emma...almost there!


Enjoying a snack at the top

Hit a photography museum just outside the gates of Zion. I was blown away and inspired by the art we saw.

Ate a bumbleberry pie. Yum. Did you know a bumbleberry is a burple and binkle berry that grows on a giggle bush. I promise...it said so right on the box.

Explored the hoo doos in Bryce

Oh how I love Bryce. It has been years since we have been. It is amazing, simply amazing. Hiking down into the hoo doos was awesome. Awesome and a bit tricky. The temperature was in the 30s and we had to trek through deep mud and over slick ice. It was so worth it though.

This is one of the few pics we have as a family. Notice what is in focus? Grrrr. Thats ok, we still appreciate the fellow hiker who offered to take it.

Remember the ice I talked about? It was so slick I had to slide down on my bum-a-roo. Dave laughed at me....that is until he fell ;).

You see how amazing it was?!

This trip has got me craving summer. Oh how I wish it would get here a bit faster. My girls are at such a great age too. They were so good on the trip. They laughed, played, explored. Ali even learned a new word on the trip..."bapa" She loved the backpack and keeps trying to find it and pull it out. Its going to be a great summer I tell ya. A great one.

4 comments:

Heather Rose said...

looks like you guys had lots of fun!! you guys are so adventurous! we might have to head down there this summer and do some exploring of our own.

Jess Young said...

I'm so ready to go camping!

Krystal said...

So fun! Aren't you thrilled that it's that time of year??....OUTDOOR TIME!! YAY!
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the picture of Ali sleeping in the backpack!! What a riot!

Kati said...

I CANNOT believe you took your CAMERA to the top of Angles Landing! You are NUTS! You could have dropped it down the clip the cliff to never see it again!!! Ahhhhhh!!! You guys are NUTS!!!! lol! Just kidding you guys! I am so glad you had a wonderful time and all lived to talk about it! I LOVE all the pictures you took! They are just grand!