down to Mt. Timp. We had so much fun. Friday, after a brief stop at Cabellas and setting up camp, we hiked up for a tour of the cave. The hike was 3 1/2 miles
round trip with an elevation gain of 1100 ft (the hike to delicate arch is about the same distance but only an elevation gain of 480 ft, just to give you an idea of how steep the trail was.).
not to shabby. I carried Emma the whole way. Me and Dave are trying to squeeze a backpacking trip into our schedule in the next few weeks. I figured it would be good training for that. Poor Dave, he had so many fellow hikers reprimand him for "making" me carry Emma. The cave was awesome. I can't believe I have never been 
through it before. I loved hearing the history
of how the three different caves were found and
different legends that surrounded the formations inside. If you are ever around the area, the hike and seven dollar tour fee are well worth it. Emma absolutely loved the cave! Afterwards we headed back for a relaxing night at camp. It was crazy when we woke up this morning we could see our breath as we lay in the tent and outside everything was covered with frost. In other words it got pretty cold. We didn't really notice though. A fire and two cups of hot cocoa each cut through the chill of the morning. After packing camp up we headed towards Mt. Timp. We attempted hiking it when Em was like 2 months old but didn't make it to the top because we hit intense snow. We figured it would be like that again but started hiking anyways. It is one of the prettiest hikes. We made it about 3 1/2 miles up before we hit dangerous snow conditions.
We had fun though.
I think hiking as a family is one of the best
things ever. There are no distractions, just a lot of time to really enjoy each other's company.
Emma hiked for about the first half mile. It took
us 42 minutes. Nutty girl. She had to stop, observe
and touch everything, rocks, flowers, trees, etc. It was
a fun weekend. Me and Dave both have some blisters
Dave. Combining the two days we hiked a total of 10 miles
and gained about 3,000 ft. I'm starting to dig Dave's GPS
can ya tell!

3 comments:
I'll try this again (I can't spell or proof read evidently)and way I love the post I'm excited to go hiking again some time soon.
It sounds like loads of fun! I love you all!
Post a Comment