Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Thoughts

Yesterday was our dear sweet Grandpa Miller's funeral. The picture is actually of little Joshy-man escorting Emma back to the car after the grave dedication. I have come to the conclusion that I kind of like funerals. Don't get me wrong, they are sad, and I would rather not have to say good-bye to a loved one, but I love how it is a chance to reflect and celebrate a life well lived. Grandpa was an AMAZING man, truly amazing. It was so neat to be able to hear stories about his life. He was extremely dedicated in every area in his life. He held many time consuming church callings and was a doctor who often had to bolt out of his house at a moments notice but still made quality time for his family. All through the funeral I couldn't stop thinking about the scripture in the Doctrine and Covenants (58:27) that says, "Verily I say, men should be anxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of their own free will, and bring to pass much righteousness". Grandpa truly exemplified that scripture all throughout his life. I am thankful for the chance that I had to have Grandpa in MY life. He has inspired me to try harder to live better, to serve more, to judge less, to smile always and not get caught up in the little things that don't matter. It's funny but one of the things I am going to miss the most is simply seeing him sitting at his table every week eating his toast while reading the paper with Emma sitting contently at his side nibbling on one of his special sugar free cookies.

3 comments:

Jess Young said...

You're awesome Britt. I'm so glad your part of our family.

Krystal said...

Wow, he sounds like such a wonderful man. I like how you have looked at the positive in his passing and I really appreciate your thoughts. You've helped me today...find a direction to go with myself and my attitude. Thanks! Hope all is well with the family and that you all recover well from this.

Kati said...

This post is priceless. I absolutely LOVE the scripture! Thanks so much for posting this- it actually answered a burning question I have had for a super long time.