Thursday, June 11, 2009

Girls Rule


I decided I am a BIG fan of Little Red Riding Hood. My sister-in-law, Jess, and I rode it together this year. For those of you who don't know, it's an all girls, yup no boys allowed, cycling event to raise money for women's cancer research. It was such a girly event, the rest stops actually had plastic tablecloths and flowers. It made me chuckle ;). Anyway, there were many distances to choose from but we settled on the 64 miler. We paired up with a couple of other bikers Jess knew, Becky and Lisa. To be honest, we didn't spend a whole lot of time actually biking with them but it was fun to catch up at the rest stops ;). All in all I LOVED the ride.

The scenery was absolutely gorgeous and the weather couldn't have been better. Well, minus the headwind we had for a bit ;). Dave drove around meeting us at the lunch stop and taking pictures of us throughout the ride. I always got SO excited to see his truck. I have to admit, as much as I loved the ALL GIRLS event, I missed having Dave peddling beside me. It was funny for me to note that at about mile 50 I could feel myself burning out (just like at the century). I think 50 miles is my wall. Anyway, by the time I pushed through my wall the finish line was only 10 miles away...I was a little sad because I was ready for more.

I have to say though, the finish festivities were AWESOME, a visit from the big bad wolf, drinks from the cabana boy tiki bar, a chocolate fountain, massage tables (which sadly I didn't take advantage of), a big buffet of food...AWE-SOME!


Ahhhh, good times, good times. Thanks Jess...for all the fun!!! Now, a few more random pictures..

The start. Getting ready to roll!

Pulling into the finish

Crossing the finish line. I know this isn't the best shot. Dave had the telephoto lens on so was limited :).

Me, Jess, Lisa and Becky...we made it!



And last but not least...the finish line. I LOVED the banner. Loved it. It choked me up a bit actually, especially after seeing first hand what cancer can do. Victory OVER Cancer...love it.

***Ali just said her first two word sentence! She came down, saw these pictures and said, "Mama bike, Mama bike!", how cool is that?! :)***

2 comments:

Jess Young said...

Thanks for inviting me to ride with you! IT WAS AWESOME! Oh, and do you think you could email me some of the pics. I didn't have my camera and I want to scrapbook my first bike event.

HappyHodges said...

You girls are awesome! I am once again impressed and proud of ya! I love the finish line banner and started to get choked up to thinking of how you felt of what you did and what you guys did it for after being hit my this so closely!

And way to go all, she is growing too fast!