I like strong, slightly exotic flavors. I love rich, decadent desserts. I enjoy experimenting and trying new recipes. Dave, on the other hand, likes good ol' fashioned basic meals followed by a simple dessert. Our differences were really apparent tonight. I tried a new recipe and LOVED it. A wild rice salad (I'll post the recipe on the side) with a side of grilled chicken. Dave ate his chicken, took one bite of the salad and pushed it away. His comment, "Hmmm, there are a lot of different flavors in there." I didn't understand, how could he NOT love it!?! At least he tried it though, right? Gotta love him for that! I'll have to make him some poor man's stroganoff or lasagna later this week to make it up to him. Anyway, tonight's dining experience got me to thinking about our food preferences, they are quite different.
Dave: Fruity pebbles or Captain Crunch Berry cereal
Me: Bran flakes or Oatmeal
Dave: Juice, Juice, Juice
Me: Water-with ice please.
Dave: White bread
Me: Whole Wheat bread with plenty of healthy add ins
Dave: Carrot sticks, corn and peas
Me: Squash, Zucchini, Broccoli, Cauliflower, fresh green beans, Asparagus etc.
Dave: Red meat...big juicy steaks, hamburgers, ribs etc.
Me: Chicken, if any meat at all.
Dave: Hamburger helper, Mac and Cheese with Tuna Fish in it.
Me: EWWWW!!!
Dave: Dessert made with fruit (apple crisp, peach cobbler, strawberry shakes etc.)
Me: Anything with chocolate
You get the idea. It makes me wonder what my kids will end up liking. So far they eat it all. Although Emma has starting labeling food as "Mommy food" or "Daddy food." It makes me laugh that she is already picking up on our differences.
Can you tell I'm awake and bored while my whole family is fast asleep?!? Maybe I should go find something productive to do :)
4 comments:
Sorry we missed you guys while we were town!
I think Matt is right there with Dave on the food preferences and I'm right there with you. Matt loves hamburger helper and mac and cheese and anything that is big and sloppy with gross add-ins like hot dogs. I can't stand that kind of thing! And Matt's the fruit dessert type, too; I can appreciate it but it's not what I crave. And Matt would be fine if I cooked the same things every week but I'm too restless for that.
Isn't it funny to see how we all were raised so differently? I have had to insist that Adam try some things because he has been too stubborn since he wasn't raised with it! Much like you - I love cooked cereal and he was completely grossed out by the idea. With my persistance, it has grown on him :).
you are so funny! I love it!! dave is alot like josh, and im nothing like you lol I eat crappy not healthy but hey you can do your experimental dinners for me anytime! I love the picture of the girls! so cute! miss ya
Our husbands sound very much the same...maybe its just a husbands-that -work-to-hard thing....husbands are funny that way aren't they? I think deep down they are just little boys....but, the best part is, is that we love them anyway! Talk to you soon!
Jess
Post a Comment