Monday, September 22, 2008

A Saturday with the Millers

You know what's the best? When you look at your calender and see a wide open, no obligations, day. Saturday was our only day for the rest of the month that looked like that. It was especially nice because Dave had worked the last 14 days straight, well, minus Ali's birthday. Anyway, it was a day not to be wasted! Here's a look at how we spent that glorious day.

Biking the Legacy Parkway bike path-they recently opened the legacy parkway, a highway running from Farmington into Salt Lake, the best part about it is alongside the parkway they have an awesome, two-way, bike/jogging path. We decided it would be a great day to bike to Salt Lake and try out the new parkway path. I LOVED it!

It was so nice to not have to worry about car traffic once we reached the bike path. It was a little hectic near the start with pedestrian traffic but a few miles into it that quickly thinned out. There were joggers and families out for a leisurely bike ride, there were also hard core bikers in pace lines cruising. There was definitely a large diversity of participants. I must say though, the horses, with their mounds of droppings, have to go.
Our ride for the day ended up being 43 miles. It was a good ride. I was happy by how well we did, we averaged 16 MPH with a headwind and poor Dave pulling the trailer. Next summer Dave and I plan on doing a century together (unless I'm prego by then) so this was good training, not that Dave's needs any, hehe. Anyway, the girls did awesome, Ali slept and Emma chilled and occasionally would ask if we were almost to the park. Dave and I had a good chance to talk while we biked. Seriously, loved it! Side note-I hit my highest speed on a flat yet....30 MPH. I was chasing down a pace line to draft off for a bit. Good times :)

Playin at the Park-we ended our bike ride at a park, like usual. Dave and I stretched and basked in the sun while Emma played and Ali stole our water bottles.

Taking a Diggin trip up to Willard Peak-When we got back to our house after playing at the park we were debating on what to do with the rest of the day. Emma put in her vote, "lets go up in the mountains." That settled it. We piled in the truck and took off to one of our favorite places in the whole wide world, Willard Peak (Dave proposed to me there). The leaves were beginning to change colors so it was a beautiful drive! When we reached the top we let Emma fly her kite and we shared a 5 dollar footlong from subway in the bed of the truck while we enjoyed the great view. Enjoy some pictures....I actually remembered the camera for this event :)

I love this last picture. When I saw it I was reminded of a similar picture Dave took just over a year ago.....

I'm glad Ali now has her own seat in the truck, hehe.

We had a really good day but this last part breaks my heart.....as we were heading down off the mountain we kept passing cops and fire trucks going up. At the bottom there was an ambulance parked. We knew something was up. At the peak there was a group we hung out with for a bit. There were three little girls who all helped fly Emma's kite. The group were all on four wheelers. They took off before us but we ended up passing them awhile later because they had got soaked during the rain and had stopped to light a fire to warm up for a bit. Turns out the golf-cart looking four wheeler (no idea what they are called) with the three kids seats bolted in ended up rolling later. The man died and one of the little girls was flown to Primary Children's Hospital in pretty serious condition. Seriously, it just makes me sick to think about. Breaks my heart. So please, include that family in your prayers.

5 comments:

Emmy Bludorn said...

Wow, that's such a sad ending to a great day.

Kati said...

Those weird four wheelers are either "mules" or "rhino's" and I know a lot of people that want one because they can fit their whole family on one- that is truely a heart breaker!
The rest of your day sounds perfect! Especially being able able to have some conversation with dave on your bike ride! How great! I love all your pictures! I can't believe the leaves are already changing!

Krystal said...

Oh my word...how sad! I didn't even spend time with them and that made me sick. That kind of stuff is devistating! It makes you realize how quickly things can happen and that we really dont have control over every situation. Hope they all recover well from their loss and injuries! As for the rest of the day - it sounds great! I love weekends with no obligation. There is no better way to spend time with your family then with no worries and randomly picking fun things to do. Glad you had a good one!

HappyHodges said...

Britt what are you trying to do to me! Dont you know my emotions are EXTREMELY crazy and fragile right now, I was all peaceful and happy about your awesome family day and then boom you end with that! Oh dear that poor family! I am glad you guys had a good time and were able to enjoy such a great day together!

Michele said...

What a great day up until the end....ugh, Ron always says those are more dangerous then his motorcycle, he is probably trying ti make me feel better. Prego???? Good luck honey, you so need a boy!