I am kind of a health nut. You wouldn't be able to tell by the lunch that I am chowing down on while I type though, a greasy piece of pizza, hehe. Anyway, I have discovered the greatest thing ever. I have an absolute favorite smoothie recipe that I have posted a few times. The base is 1 cup skim milk, 4 oz. fat-free or low-fat vanilla yogurt and 1/2 cup-1 cup mixed frozen berries. Recently, our dear old 10 dollar blender we received as a wedding gift almost 6 years ago finally died. We needed another one because we can't live without our smoothies. Dave sprung for a slightly nicer one when I sent him to the store. It works so well, absolutely no chunks, so, I decided to get creative and see what I could add to the smoothie without it effecting the taste. Get this.....I add wheat germ, carrots, sprouts, 1/2 a banana and some orange juice concentrate. It is DELICIOUS and packed full of nutrients. Dave and the girls love it. Its a great way to sneak in lots of fruits and veggies. Go ahead...give it a try, you will love it!
Tuesday, September 9, 2008
You Gotta Try This...
I am kind of a health nut. You wouldn't be able to tell by the lunch that I am chowing down on while I type though, a greasy piece of pizza, hehe. Anyway, I have discovered the greatest thing ever. I have an absolute favorite smoothie recipe that I have posted a few times. The base is 1 cup skim milk, 4 oz. fat-free or low-fat vanilla yogurt and 1/2 cup-1 cup mixed frozen berries. Recently, our dear old 10 dollar blender we received as a wedding gift almost 6 years ago finally died. We needed another one because we can't live without our smoothies. Dave sprung for a slightly nicer one when I sent him to the store. It works so well, absolutely no chunks, so, I decided to get creative and see what I could add to the smoothie without it effecting the taste. Get this.....I add wheat germ, carrots, sprouts, 1/2 a banana and some orange juice concentrate. It is DELICIOUS and packed full of nutrients. Dave and the girls love it. Its a great way to sneak in lots of fruits and veggies. Go ahead...give it a try, you will love it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
we LOVE smoothies at our house to!!what kind of blender did you get bryan and i absolutly love smoothies i love jamba juice it's my fav but we don't have one here in brigham and it's quite the long drive just to get a smoothie ne ways we have been trying to decide what kind of blender to get cause the one we have dosen't do the job. i haven't tried putting veggies in and it is a great idea to get the kids eat veggies:)
mmmmmm.... smoothie! so excited for breakfast tomorrow
I adore you Britt, and I am getting a little sad & lonely with us being apart so long, maybe I am turning into that sad, dirty, obnoxious neighbor kid who Never goes home, but I cant help it I miss you! I love smoothies, especially since I became pregnant, because they give me & the baby the nutrients but are easier to swallow and keep down than whole foods!
Holy moly! That's fabulous! We UNFORTUNATELY eat ice cream shakes every night before bed. Bad habit. Luckily I can sometimes talk Scott into the fat free yogurt, but sometimes he still wins and gets his full on fattening ice cream. I am so trying this recipe. He would DIE if he knew what I put in it, but I am hoping he says, "Mmmm this is GOOD!" Then I will get some nutrients in that kid! Haha! Thanks Britt! What a great idea!
We have used and used that recipe from you with the yogurt, milk and raspberries over and over! It is one of Brad's FAVORITES!!! I need to get me some raspberry bushes to help with the cost though! OUCH!
K- so a few questions about the "added nutrients-" Are the carrots cooked or are they simply carrots? Sprouts- what kind? Wheat germ- I would assume I really know what this is considering the wheat freak I am- but I am at a blank- Isn't it something you simply have to buy? Anyway I also need to know the approximate amounts. I bet you didn't think posting this would be such a project to explain to this poor lost soul, did you?? I can't wait to try it out!
Post a Comment