Wednesday, February 11, 2009

An Easy-Breezy Beeeauutiful Valentine's Day Cake

If you are like me you will be stayin' home and makin' your man a fancy dinner on Valentine's Day. Dave and I have tried to go out on previous V-days but decided the hassle and 3 hr. wait time for overpriced food just wasn't worth it. I recently found a FABULOUS chocolate cake recipe and wanted to share it with all of you who are also staying/baking in this V-day. The best part? You can make it into a festive heart shape WITHOUT having a heart shaped pan, which I'm ALL about.

The recipe:

1 (18.25 ounce) package devil's food cake mix
1 (5.9 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix
1 cup sour cream
3/4 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
1/2 cup warm water
1-2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

In a large bowl, mix together the cake and pudding mix, sour cream, oil, beaten eggs and water. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Shaping the cake:

pour batter evenly into a 9 in. square pan and a 9 in. round pan. Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes or until the tops are springy and a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cakes comes out clean. Let cool completely. Cut the round cake in half. Place the square cake on a plate or serving board so that it becomes a diamond shape. Position the two half circle cakes on either side of the top part of the diamond to form a heart-shaped cake. Cut and trim, if needed, to make the cake sections fit together properly.....that's it, then you simply frost and decorate how you want to.

Cool huh?! Seriously I'm not a huge cake fan but this recipe is easy (I can say that because it uses a cake mix) and is so thick, moist and YUUUMMY.

Oh and the picture I found on google to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. You can make your cake much prettier though I'm sure!

3 comments:

Heather Rose said...

oh my goodness i love chocolate cake!!! i might have to make this for my birthday cake next week! thanks for the idea

Amber Lynn said...

How fun! Im defiitly going to try this! Love those girls, they are so stinkin cute and growing up so fast! Hope you have a great weekend and happy valentines!

Krystal said...

So cute and looks so YUMMY!! Thanks for the idea. We are like you...we don't go out ON Valentines day - much too busy! We always go out a few days before, or after. It is a lot less hectic!