Saturday, February 21, 2009

Historic Treasure Hunt

Today the sun was shining, the weather was warm and Dave was home. We weren't sure what we wanted to do but we knew we didn't want to waste such a perfect day. So, we loaded up in the truck and set off. We ended up at Antelope Island and decided to pay the fee to actually go out TO the island. We have been to the island numerous times but never ventured out past the visitor's center. We figured today was a great day to explore. Boy-oh-boy did we find a treasure, I'll give you a hint...


Any guesses?

I'll just tell you...Fielding Garr Ranch! That probably doesn't mean much to ya huh?! Before today, I didn't know it existed. It is on old ranch (duh) that operated from 1848-1981. I was ELATED to find it!!! I totally dig stuff like this. I mean...1848!!! I was in heaven as we studied up on the history of it and explored the old ranch house and all the out buildings. There were treasures EVERYWHERE. I'll share a few of my favorites.

I saw this tucked in a window sill in one of the buildings and fell in love with it. Dave thought I was crazy.

What a BEEEAUITFUL old truck. Oh, how I want one.

The girls liked it too.

Loved all the dirty old windows!

Check out this wall I found in one of the buildings, it was plastered with a gazillion old ads. So cool.

This picture simply shows off what a sunny warm day it was. Look at all that golden sunshine!

Oh and please disregard Ali's snowboots in the pic, she picked them out herself this morning and we couldn't convince her that her tennis shoes were a more practical choice. Toddlers!

Now...are you ready for my favorite find of the day?!

Ohhhh so sweet!

The girls had so much fun running and exploring.

Emma was just as into it as I was. She would dart from one place to another yelling, "QUICK come see, look what I found!" We were all entertained for hours. We also saw some fun wildlife, antelope, bison and some nesting owls, or at least their nest. It was a grand day for the Millers ;). I guarantee you, we will be visiting the old Garr ranch again.

And yes...I am aware that I am a nerd ;).

4 comments:

Emily said...

It's funny because I've never been to Antelope Island! I made a goal to one day make it out there. I love that there were so many adventures for you. Also, Britt, you are getting so good at photography. I love looking at your photo blog! I totally want you to do my pictures (I don't know what for...but when I have a need for pictures I want you to take them!) Well, I sure do love you!

HappyHodges said...

Looks like fun! And love the warm weather!

Kelli said...

no, you are definitely not a nerd! i am completely jealous and must go there asap!! i love that!!
i LOVE old houses and trucks and vintage ads and pictures. wow, i really am so jealous. you have to tell me exactly where to go to find it.

Kati said...

My mom would have loved this just as much as you!