Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Sweet Surprise

This morning Ali was rolling around happily on the floor, Emma was still fast asleep and I was chillin in the rocking chair just watching Al and thinking of my long list of things to get done when I looked out the window and there was Dave climbing out of his truck. Weird, he left for work over an hour ago. My sweet boy walked in the house with flowers and breakfast makings and the good news that he had the whole day off!!!! Dave usually works Mon-Wed at the U. So he went to work like any other Wed. We had forgotten he had requested it off because today is the day my Aunt and Uncle were supposed to be sealed. When he got to work they sent him back home. He did get a good bike ride in while I went to a play date with some good friends from our ward, after that though we had a good time just hangin out. Dave works, a lot, so we treasure every extra minute we get with him.

Now, some random thoughts to go with this random picture. Last night I was laying in bed, soooo tired and discouraged because I hadn't been able to get everything I wanted to done that day. I didn't get the bread made or the laundry folded or the carrots Puréed for Ali etc. etc. Every morning I start out with a list of everything I want to get done and every night I climb into bed exhausted but with only about 1/2 of my list done. There just aren't enough hours in the day. Grrrrr. I honestly don't know how you moms out there do it who also work. I feel like i'm struggling to keep my head above water as is. After fretting about it for awhile I decided its ok. I just need to relax and try to enjoy the time I have with my little ones. Like when Ali gets her head stuck in the cushions and just chills there trying to suck her toes until we help her (shown above). Or when Emma informs me that she can't pick up her socks, like I had asked her to, because she is the magic school bus and she doesn't have any hands, only wheels. They are only little for so long. So, my goal for the week is to prioritize, relax and just enjoy life. Also, to look at what I do get done and be proud of that ya know. Wish me luck. Some things are easier said then done and for me this may well be one of them!

8 comments:

Heather Rose said...

how fun for you to get to spend some time with you hubby!! and flowers wow :) your little emma sure does have a good imagination:)

HappyHodges said...

Oh my! This is all coming from Brittany, super Mom and Wonder Wife! You are amazing and if it makes you feel better at least you get part of your list done, I have been home for 2 days now (by myself with no kids) and have accomplished nothing but sitting on the couch sleeping and the occasional run to the bathroom to throw up!

Emily said...

I still think you are super mom. Can we please live next to each other when I have children so we can puree carrots together and be in the same play group? I like that idea.

The Morton Family said...

My gosh girl, breathe! I think we all go through this. I feel like a lousy mom most times, since I don't get down on the floor and play much. My priorities are always so crazy and backwards! Our house work can wait, dinner can be cereal tonight, and who cares if we bathe today? There is always tomorrow? YEAH RIGHT! ha ha!

Emmy Bludorn said...

I hear you - I think this is something every mother struggles with everyday. I know I do. With Ellie going into kindergarten this fall, it has really hit home how little time we have with them. I've had to make a big effort to put things on the back burner (including my pregnancy tiredness and overall yuckiness that is easy to succumb to) to focus on them and enjoy them. Good luck.

Tania Farr said...

I know exacly how you fell.But let me tell you that you are great.you do soooooo much and sometimes I wish to be like you.Just take some time for yourself even if it is just 30 minutes doing nothing or doing something that makes you relax.Good like!

Kelli said...

OK, that is so cute that her head is stuck in the couch and she just makes the best of it by finding her feet to suck on. I could just squeeze her. Brit, you need to give yourself more credit. You probably get more done in a day than I get done in a week...I really hope that's not true, but I wouldn't be surprised. That's a good idea to make a list for the next day because it gives you a little direction. I'm going to start doing that. I honestly don't know how you do it all, but you're an example to me. And about not getting the bread made....wow. That wouldn't have even made it onto my list. :Đ

Kelli said...

Real quick...not to be a copy-cat, but what template do you use for your blog? I don't like my format, and love yours...so if you wouldn't mind. I like how it's so spread out. Mine is just one big column.

Thanks