Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Committed

Any self-help book or motivational speaker will tell you, if you have a goal, write it down! There is something about putting a goal in writing that makes it concrete, posting it on a blog makes it even more so. So...here goes... next summer I plan on doing the Salt Lake Century on my road bike. I also plan on running a half marathon in Moab. I am also toying around with the idea of doing LOTOJA on a relay team.

Anyway, I am scared to death....but so, so committed. The only out would be if I get pregnant, because lets face it, there is no way I am going to pedal me and a baby for 100 miles or run with one in the oven for 13.1, ya know! If I do get pregnant, it will only postpone my goals for a summer of two.

I still have a long way to go in training. In both activities I am only about 1/2 way mileage wise.

When it comes to biking-I can bike 50 miles comfortably. Dave is going to start me on canyons soon, he claims hills are the best way to train on a bike.

Running, ah running, that's where I struggle. My current base run is 3 miles and my long run is 6. It is slowly getting easier though and I'm having a lot more fun with it.

Well, wish me luck! I'm soooo excited :)

QFSN (Quick funny side note)-anyone notice I am only half as ambitious as Dave, hehe :) Gotta love that boy!

6 comments:

Jess Young said...

Good luck! (I'm not sure if I'm referring to you getting prego or training for your races) :)

Heather Rose said...

you are so ambitous!! i keep hoping that by reading your blog someday all of your energy will rub off on me :) thats a ton of stuff for a mother of two to be taking on your are just amazing!!

Kati said...

The collage! SO awesome HUH!!! Free download- Picasa 3- there are SO many cute collages you can do! Highly recommend it!
Let Dave coach you with that biking- how fun to have such support in a relationship! It was the coolest thing to have Brad rooting me on when I was running- and I LOVE going to his basketball games- but for some reason we haven't found something we both truely have a passion for in athletics... Still working on it! With running though- may I recommend something! Run in the water. It will make you way strong with up hills. Biking is a great cross trainer- but I do think that running in the water will give you extra strength. Not only that- it is great on your joints. Running distances may be hard on your joints- biking and running in water will give your joints a much needed break from the constant pounding of asphalt. I also know a bunch of physical therapies if you run into shin splints and knee problems (but only in certain areas). Also- one more thing- when you run down hill- pretend you are petaling your bike. It will increase your speed with less effort. I love hearing how training is going for others- so keep me updated and best of luck!

HappyHodges said...

Hey Stranger! Well you always amaze me! I hope you are able to reach your goals! Just reading about those things at this point makes me sick, he he! Good luck!

Michele said...

of course not, post away, please. I have had only one sale so that is why we are doing a joint giveaway, I'm a little discouraged with not selling. Do you think the prices are to high? Did you go to Jenn's site? My blossoms are cute if I do say so myself! You can leave a comment on Monday for another chance too :) My hands are getting worse, ugh, surgery will probably be inevible, don't know if thats the spelling. As for your goals, I vote on the pregnancy it makes me tired just thinking about it....would help with my weight though :)

Teddy, Scott, & baby Jane said...

Britt, a half marathon is the perfect distance, you can totally do it! I've always felt fine after and so you will totally be great. I hear the Moab one is fun. As for the century, you can totally do that too. I wish so much I was going to be around this summer danget! I would totally do the century AND the lotoja relay with you. Oh well, maybe in 5 4 years?! Good luck!