Sunday, October 5, 2008

Guess Where?!


A tent.....mountain bikes....

red rock.....bright blue sky.....

A stinky pooch excited to be alive....


3 Happy Campers......

you guessed it, MOAB!!! Dave's birthday was on Friday and his birthday wish was a weekend away in Moab, and well, what the birthday boy wants, the birthday boy gets (within reason of course, hehe). It was an awesome weekend full of biking, hiking, digging, movies, and playing in the sand.

Friday we woke up to a bright, blue, beautiful Moab morning. Dave offered to watch the girls and let me go on a morning run. I have to tell ya....it was amazing. I usually run with my ipod but didn't have the headphones so was forced to run without music. I loved it. It was just me, the early morning light, the road and lots and lots of sagebrush. It was invigorating. When I got back to camp I watched the girls while Dave went for a bike ride. He did the whole-14 mile- slickrock loop. It's a killer ride. I was REALLY impressed. After he finished we went on a hike to Corona Arch. It is one of my all time favorite hikes in Moab.

That evening, to celebrate Dave's birthday, we decided to forgo a dinner of hotdogs and opted for pizza instead. We also grabbed a cake from the nearby market and had a grand ol' birthday celebration in Pizza hut :)
The next morning we woke up to cloudy, gray skies, with rain a fallin'. Poo. Ah well, nothing to do but make the most of it. So, we set off for slickrock in the rain. This time I was biking while Dave pushed the girls in the stroller.

Guys....this ride was a huge achievement for me....I became a REAL mountain biker! The only way to become an all-out-real-mountain biker is to experience a crash-a good one. A slow motion tip over doesn't count. Anyway, I ate it, I ate it hard. I was barreling down some awesome downhill when I hit some sand at the bottom. The sand jerked my tire and took my bike right out from under me....I went flying. The thing I was most aware of as I crashed was my head plowing into the ground and bouncing a few time. While I was laying there, stunned and trying to assess the damage some fellow mountain bikers stumbled upon me. They had seen the whole thing. They helped me up, brushed me off, and let me know that mountain bikin' ain't mountain bikin' unless there is blood involved. After I assured them I was ok I sat down to wait for Dave and the girls. They were a ways behind me because the stroller really wasn't meant for that kind of terrain. When they got there I re-enacted the whole scene for them. Dave snapped a picture. After all, a girl's first crash is something to capture.
So, the damage....I am bruised and sore from my shoulder down to my knee. My elbow is swollen something awful and my helmet now has some pretty good scuffs and dents. Thank goodness for helmets!

After biking we decided to take a break from the rain and get some diggin' in. We did Gemini Bridges and Metal Masher...twice.


We got lost, we got REALLY lost, hehe. We were going around in circles on top of the mesa for hours. But, no worries we made it back to camp safe and sound :) When we got back to camp the rain was still coming down hard.

We retreated to the tent and watched a movie. Seriously, I LOVE whoever invented portable DVD players. They are a lifesaver in such situations. That evening the rain stopped and we were able to go out on a beautiful walk and get some wiggles out.

It was a great trip, it really was. I love that all Dave wanted for his birthday was a weekend away with his family. I sure hope he had a good birthday. We sure love him and enjoyed spending time with him!

10 comments:

Krystal said...

What a good trip and what a compliment that Dave wanted to spend time with his ladies for his big day! Hope you recover quickly from your crash. Oh, and sounds like Moab was the place to be - my friend Leah went for the weekend as well. Anyway, enjoy the rest of your week! Adam says we need to get together sometime next year and do some outdoor adventures together :) - I agree with him.

oh and the skinny dipping thing....Yes, it's been done, but I was also very young!! (and no boys were around, just my girl friends) The gal I am today doesn't have those kind of guts!

HappyHodges said...

I am glad you had fun! But you crazy girl, be careful, its one awful thing if we were to lose Dave from his craziness, but you would be a whole other story! And Happy Birthday to Dave, what good friends we are, I am so upset I missed it, and when I told Adam he said "I know it was Fri., no big deal Dave and I talked about it on Thurs." Boys?!??!

Kati said...

Looks like you all had a blast!!! I am so glad! That run you went on sounds SO WONDERFULLLL!!!! I like to run to music, but I love even more to be running to the sound of nature and the serenity which encompasses it! That is awesome that Dave loves his fam so much that this is what he wanted for his b-day! How awesome to have such a strong family! Hope you recover quickly!

Kelli said...

I was sad the whole way through this post. You guys had so much fun and I missed it! I even like it when it rains camping. But that may have been a problem if Grey and I were there. It might have been a tight fit.
I love the picture of Ali in the rain! What a good sport. She is too cute!
Happy Birthday Dave!

Heather Rose said...

happy late birthday to dave! it looks like you guys had lots of fun!

Dave said...

Greatest B-day ever!!! Thanks hon for a good one! If you want to go in march for your B-day I guess that would be OK!

Michele said...

He guesses it would be ok (reading Dave's comment) stinker! I so need to go there now Ron can even relate to your awesome trip, & those pictures to scrap, I would be in heaven! Happy Birthday Stinker! Only Auntie can get away with that huh? I love what Em said to Ali after being awoke, Logan tells cale to be quiet because he is watching his cartoon, or this ones good, its not all about you Cale! Hmmmm where would he hear that? I promise I'll send out the clips soon. I'm having alot of hand troubles so I've been staying close to home unless Ron helps me! Hugs & Kisses XOXOXO

Tania Farr said...

Happy late birthday Dave!You guys are amazing.Love the pictures!Moah looks like fun.

Emmy Bludorn said...

I am so, so jealous.

Tinker Bear said...

Glad you guys got away!
Happy b-day Dave!

Hope you guys can make it to dinner on the 19th at our house!
We would love to see you guys, and I am sure Lonnie would too!
Love ya!
Jen