Friday, October 10, 2008

The Many Emotions of Motherhood

Wow....being a mother is an emotional rollercoaster. Its crazy how fast I can go from being so angry and frustrated I am ready to combust to being moved to tears because of how much I love my children. Let me walk you through my morning.

4:50 a.m. I was laying in bed about to get up so I could get ready and make it to my 5:30 kickboxing class before Dave had to go to work when I heard Emma SCREAMING and I mean SCREAMING! I went in and tried to calm her down before she woke up Ali. Nothing I did helped. I think Emma has dreams where she is playing with a friend or a certain toy and something goes wrong because she will wake up crying and screaming about someone/something I have never heard of. She gets really, really mad when I have no idea what she is talking about. Anyway, I finally gave up and went back to bed unsure if I should leave or not. I was so frustrated. I wanted Dave to be able to sleep since he had to work all day. Dave insisted I leave and that he would be fine with the girls.


5:25 a.m. I was driving to the gym trying to hurry so I could still get a bag. I sent a quick text to Dave to see if Emma had calmed down yet....nope. He informed me that now, Ali was awake and they were both screaming. I felt incredibly guilty and turned around.


5:40 a.m. I entered the house to hear Emma...still screaming and heard big ol' thuds coming from Ali's crib. She was in the process of throwing a tantrum. For some reason lately when she is upset she will sit up and then throw herself back with all her might. When I am in a better mood I actually think its a bit funny. Anyway, by this point I was angry and even feeling (I'm ashamed to say) a little sorry for myself because I had to miss my kickboxing class. I said a quick prayer to ask for help and patience so I could handle the situation calmly and not kill my poor, innocent children.



6:00 a.m FINALLY...I had gotten them both calmed down and they are sleeping. But, by then, it was time to get up. By this time I was tired. Plain and simply, drained. I got Dave, up, fed and off to work (ok so Dave actually got himself up, hehe, I did make him breakfast though) and then the girls, up, fed and ready for the day-they were by this time back to their happy, charming, delightful little selves. I was still a bit ornery.


8:45 a.m. We set out for a bike ride. BTW-it was friggin' cold! Our outside thermometer was reading 30 degrees. I was loving the under-armor Dave got as a Christmas present from my parents last year, it saved me. The girls were bundled up nice and cozy in the trailer and were able to relax and eat a snack while I pounded out my remaining frustrations.

10:00 a.m. We found a park to play at. After rides we always stop at a park to play. It was beautiful weather. The morning air was crisp but warming up and the colors of the trees were splendid. Emma ran off excitedly to play with Ali crawling after her. The girls both decided to climb up a rock climbing wall. I was spotting from the bottom. When Ali cleared the top she let out an excited screech and was off. I saw her headed straight for a big, steep, shute slide-the girl LOVES slides. I freaked. I was scared out of my pants. I ran as fast as I could to catch her as she came barreling head first out the bottom, laughing all the while. Little nut. She is fearless, a complete opposite from my very cautious and responsible Emma. Anyway, we spent the next hour digging in the wood chips and playing train down the slides. As we played I was so proud as I watched them accomplish new skills and improve old ones. When the girls started to get tired we headed for the swings. I held Ali on my lap and swung while she sucked her thumb. Emma was in the swing next to us chatting it up and telling us some good stories. As I sat there with my kids enjoying the beautiful weather I was happy and content. My heart was filled with so much love for my kids that i thought it would burst. I was thinking about how truly blessed I am to have them in my life-a complete turn around from earlier that morning, hehe.


11:30 a.m. We headed back home for lunch, stories and nap time before we would have to start all over again with afternoon activities and lessons. It's a good thing the good feelings always cloud out the bad ones because 98.5% of the time....I love being a mother.

9 comments:

Tania Farr said...

I totally understand you.I also love to be a mom but sometimes is hard.I always pray and I remember my mom words "you were just like Thomas as a kid."It heps to know that every mom has ups and downs with their children and that long time ago we were doing the same things to our parents.Ah!Ah!Ah!Ah!Ah!

Kati said...

Let it out girl! It is nice to know that you are a little normal when it comes to being a mom in my book! You always seem to be on top of things emothionally and activity wise- if that makes any sense at all to you... Also- Great pecentage!

HappyHodges said...

That was the cutest blog Brit! At first my reaction to it was... What!??! the emotions continue all over even after you give birth... I cant do this!!! But then my heart got full and so did my eyes (with tears) and realized I am so excited and cant wait to have that love and me a mother! Thanks reminding me of that, your the best!

HappyHodges said...

Opps! I meant "BE a mother"

Krystal said...

I am SO happy that someone else experiences these things! There are times when I do get angry, frusterated, selfish and guilty too and I often feel like a horrible mother for feeling those things. I have come to know that it is just part of life and it's NORMAL for a mommy. I agree with you completely - all those feelings are outweighed by the good and the good.....is SO GOOD! Aren't we blessed to have those wonderful emotions!? Awe, motherhood is truly grand!

Krystal said...

I am SO happy that someone else experiences these things! There are times when I do get angry, frusterated, selfish and guilty too and I often feel like a horrible mother for feeling those things. I have come to know that it is just part of life and it's NORMAL for a mommy. I agree with you completely - all those feelings are outweighed by the good and the good.....is SO GOOD! Aren't we blessed to have those wonderful emotions!? Awe, motherhood is truly grand!

Kati said...

Thanks so much Brit for your advice about Hyrum- I feel like I have my hands tied with it. My not-so-smart brain is holding him back I feel. I would love LOVE to do Preschool for him- but my hold ups are Brad and $$$... So I will continue to do my best one on one- thanks for the encouragement on that! Hyrum really is just like any other child. He has his +'s and -'s. Like Emma and her AMAZING imagination and creativity! It is SO fun to be around her, because that falls in the - catagory with my kids lol! I bet she is amazing at art and will one day be a great writer! Also- that is the reason I am so SO discouraged with my calling b/c Hyrum had just gotten used to other adults and was doing great socially. So that helped feel in the gap I was worried about. Now... Well obiously it is different with your parents as your teacher. It totally stinks. Now I can't even get him to go to a neighbors, let alone Ryan and Shelleys home while I go to the doc... Aw life... I tried talking Brad into "itty bitty football" this year to help with the separation from us and help him socially- but that was a no-go. I see Hyrum as older than Brad sees him. If that makes any sense... Thanks again Brit!

Emmy Bludorn said...

You're such a better mom and wife than I am. I don't know that I would have turned around and gone back home! I probably would have sped up to get away from the chaos faster! And to say a prayer - impressive. I'm too stubborn and revel in my anger a little too long.

I had a dream about y'all last night. Totally random. Dave invited us over when you weren't around. I saw you later and you were pregnant and sick and a little ornery, too, if I recall and so I asked if you really wanted us to come over and play games and you said no. But then Dave found us and made us come over anyway and I felt guilty. At least it was just Matt and I and not the whole brood!

Jessica Adamson said...

You're beautiful! I love your words, I love your heart....thanks for everything you are so willing to share. Thanks for being such a great mom Britt....BTW, i'm more than willing to step in for temper tantrums, just call....