Friday, October 24, 2008

A Rising Fashion Star

I always knew this day would come.....

We have all seen those creative children in the grocery store with their polka dot boxers over jeans and a super hero cape on right? While I applauded their creativity and their mother for allowing it, I was silently grateful that my little ones still allowed me to dress them. Don't get me wrong, I have always given my children choices in what they wear but it has been a controlled choice such as, "which shirt do you want to wear today, the yellow one or the purple one?". Today while shopping I began to see I was losing that control, and then after naptime when Emma emerged in her "pretty outfit" I knew my control had flown right out the window.


Yesterday, little Emma informed my mom that she was in desperate need of new shoes. Well, Grandma has a soft heart and gave Em some money for her to buy new shoes with. I took Emma to the store this morning to find her some. I found an adorable pair of trendy brown ones with engraved flowers that I tried to veer Emma towards. Yeah, she was having none of it. She found white strawberry shortcake tennis shoes with sparkly velcro and cherries that lit up and hugged them to her chest and wouldn't let them go. She wandered through the store holding her shoes tightly and muttering to no one in particular, "I LOVE my new shoes. I'm so happy I'm going to cry. They are so pretty and sparkly. I love my new shoes. I love my new shoes..."


This afternoon after naptime she asked me if she could wear her new shoes for her lesson. Sure, what the heck. Well, that is apparently not all Emma had in mind. She came out of her room decked in gray sweats, a long sleeve white shirt with a beautiful princess dress over it, a Dora the explorer snow hat with dingle balls on it with the matching gloves, her favorite pink striped socks and of course...the shoes. I know somewhere my mom is laughing like crazy because you see, all these articles have been gifts from grandma over the years. So not only are they super pretty, they are very special to little Em. So, if you see me in the store with my little fashion star, please applaud Emma for her creativity.....and me for allowing it :)



6 comments:

Heather Rose said...

How friggin cute!! that little story made my day:) i especialy love the part where she loves her shoes so much she is going to cry hehe :) what a doll

Tinker Bear said...

SOOOO stinking cute!
How do I do these little scrapbook pages? Do tell your secret!
Shower, Nov. 3rd, you coming?
Sure hope so! I need moral support in case, Carol shows up!

Kati said...

Way to go Emma! And also to Brit! She is adorable! Oh- and don't worry about Grandma coming- I swear that woman hates me because of my genes!

Krystal said...

What fun! I love when kids take charge and show their creativity in their clothing! I can't help but laugh when I see them in the store. She looked adorable....and I bet she had fun doing it :). I can still persuade Addyson toward the items I want her to have - I am not sure I am ready for her to put her foot down and say what she wants! Luckily, Emma chose some practical and cute shoes she will love!

Emmy Bludorn said...

She looks just beautiful.

Your shoe experience is why I don't take the kids with me. I guess I should let them have fun but I haven't yet. I bring home the pair I like and, if they have pink on them, Ellie is happy, whereas if she had been at the store and seen all the ones I didn't pick, she wouldn't be. The ones she picks out when we're not buying are just classic!

Ellie usually doesn't have a problem with me picking out her clothes in the morning. A few times she has dissented from my picks but I still maintain a little control. For now...

Tania Farr said...

Soooooooooo cute!