Thursday, October 23, 2008

Something Kinda Fun :)

So, I was blog hopping (which I am totally embarrassed to admit) and found this. I thought it would be fun. Besides, I use my blog as my history and thought this would be a great addition. A quick warning...it is all about pregnancy, so, if that's not your thing, you're excused :)

Color code: Emma, Ali

1. Were you married at the time of the birth?
Yes
Yes

2. What were your reactions when you found out you were pregnant?
Wow....I was shocked, excited, scared it couldn't really be true and above all, so, so happy. I was told by a fertility doctor several months before that, that the only chance I would have of getting pregnant would be with medical help (which we could not even come close to affording). I sat there by myself just shaking and crying and then paged Dave 911 (emergency).

Happy, oh so happy. We were beginning to worry that Emma was a fluke, a lucky one. At the same time though, scared. I was not looking forward to all the barfing and weight gain again.

3. How old were you?
21
23

4. How did you find out you were pregnant?
I was sick. Really sick. I was also really sensitive to smells. That and my body just felt weird. I really noticed it in my cross training class, I was sore and wasn't able to work out the same. On a whim I took a test one morning while Dave was home, I peed on the stick wrong (don't ask) so Dave went to work and I went on with my day. Later that day I decided, what the heck and tried another one. Yup...it was positive :)

I was sick. I woke up one morning completely exhausted, puked and then looked in the mirror with a smile on my face knowing I was pregnant. I headed to the dollar store with Emma to pick up a test just to make sure. After the positive result I paged Dave at work....911.

5. Who did you tell first?
Dave. Dave then told a random co-worker.
Dave. After that....I just can't remember. I'm not very good at keeping things I'm really excited about a secret though, so I'm sure I started calling family and friends right away.

6. Did you want to find out the sex?
Oh yeah!
Yup!

7. Due date:
June 12th
September 25th

8. Did you deliver child early or late?
5 days early
10 days early

9. Did you have morning sickness?
Man oh man did I ever. On a GREAT day I would only barf a few times. There were some days I spent all day in bed, getting up only to run to the bathroom. I failed 2 classes that semester (SO NOT ME!) because I spent most of class in the bathroom. Luckily it started to fade at 41/2 months and I was 100% over it by 7 months.

Not to bad. I was nauseous but didn't barf a whole lot. It ended at 3 months.

10. What did you crave?
I didn't really get cravings I got aversions. Pasta and sweets made me SICK. I saw a billboard once with spaghetti on it and had to pull over to yak.

Once again, I didn't really crave things, I had aversions-sweets, especially CHOCOLATE! Which is so crazy because I love sweets-especially chocolate. Couldn't stomach them though, at least for the first few months. I guess with both pregnancies the closest thing I had to cravings was my constant desire for fruit.

11. Who irritated you the most?
Hehe, I'm not sure why but...MEN. I couldn't stand them!!! For no logical reason, I would see a man, or be talking to one and get all mad and agitated and want to beat them-and I'm not a violent person. The exceptions were Dave (thank heavens) and my brother-in-law, Brandon.

I'd rather not talk about it.

12. What was your child's sex?
Girl
Girl!

13. How many pounds did you gain throughout the pregnancy?
35
32

14. Did you have any complications during your pregnancy?
Not really. In the beginning of the pregnancy my placenta started to tear away from the uterus, but it healed itself. They were also concerned most the pregnancy because my belly was measuring small and then at about 32 weeks (I think) they thought the baby had stopped growing all together.

Once again, not really. My doctor had the same worry as with Emma, my stomach was always measuring in small and again at 32 weeks she feared the baby had stopped growing.

15. Where did you give birth to your child?
At the U
At the U

16. How many hours were you in labor?
About 12
Hmmmm.....When Dave left for work at 7 my contractions were getting pretty consistent and intense, I delivered Ali just before midnight so I'd say 5-6 hours.

17. Who drove you to the hospital?
Dave. I went into labor at work and had Dave come pick me up and take me over.
B, Jess, little Josh and Emma :) Dave was working for the ambulance so he just met me at the hospital. B and Jess were GREAT sports about driving me. I was in REALLY hard labor by the time I called them and asked them to come pick me up and not very social. Did I mention B sped AND ran red lights to get me there?! I was so scared we weren't going to make it in time.

18. Who watched?
Dave, my awesome doctor and a nurse.
Dave, my awesome doctor, a nurse and a med student who was obsessed with placentas. There may have been a few other medical stragglers in there as well but frankly, I had other things on my mind.

19. Did you take medicine to ease the pain?
Yup. I actually wanted to go natural (no idea why) but after 8 hours I was done and asked for an epidural.

As soon as I got to the hospital I asked for meds, ANYTHING. The dang nurse told me not until I was officially admitted, she then checked me and told me we might not have time. I was not happy. Luckily the anesthesiologist was close by and not busy.

20. How much did your child weigh?
7 lb 2 oz.
6 lbs. 13 oz.

21. Why did you name him/her the name you picked?
Emma Mykenzie....we just loved the name. We actually decided while we were on a date what we would name our daughter if we got married and had kids and amazingly, we stuck with it.

Ali....once again, loved the name. It was the right amount of girly and sporty. Ali's middle name is Lynn, after Dave's amazing mom.

And last but not least...some pics. Before judging me harshly remember it was in the middle of the night and I had just given birth in both pictures. Not a girls prettiest moments, but definitely, two of my happiest, and most memorable moments.

My lovely little Emma

My Sweet baby Ali

4 comments:

Krystal said...

That is so fun. It's strange...I know, but I love to hear other people's pregnancy/birth experiences! Interesting that you went to the dollar store for the pg test. I have bought an expensive one....it showed negative and my sister had a dollar store one that showed me a positive! Now I tell everyone that it's just as good :). Anyway, thanks for sharing....it was fun to read. Definatly brought back a lot of memories!

Kati said...

So fun to look back at the wonderful memories and blessing they are in not only your lives but also in our whole family! Your girls are amazing and we just love them to pieces!

Emmy Bludorn said...

You're reminding me of all the things I'm forgetting about each of my pregnancies! Maybe I need to write it all down like this so I won't forget, if I haven't already.

I didn't know that you thought you couldn't get pregnant. I'll send my good fertility vibes your way.

Jess Young said...

I thought that was fun to read!