Thursday, December 11, 2008

In Training

Do you remember this post?

After training half-heartedly for a bit I decided it was time to get serious. I decided to concentrate on the half-marathon and put my training for the century on hold for a bit. Why? Because I'm pretty sure I would be able to do the century, it would hurt, but I could do it. The half-marathon on the other hand, well, I was worried about even making it halfway. Besides, it's cold. I feel bad loading my wee ones in the bike trailer when its 30 degrees out. Anyway, as I have mentioned before, I am not a runner and really had no idea on how to go about training. Being a book learner and all I headed to the library. I know, what a dork ;).

I found this book and fell in love. It was exactly what I needed.


It is one of those, "YOU CAN DO IT!" books that is chuck-full of advice and encouragement, and lets face it, who doesn't need that kind of positive enthusiasm when training for an endurance event?! The best part of the book, though, are the training schedules. It is beyond helpful to have direction. Besides that, I am a schedule kind of person. I like waking up and knowing what workout I need to complete by the end of the day. Anyway, here is a glimpse of my training schedule

Monday: 30 minute run followed by 30 minutes of weights
Tuesday: 60 minutes of cross-training
Wednesday: rest day
Thursday: 30 minute run followed by 30 minutes of weights
Friday: 60 minutes of cross-training
Saturday: Long run
Sunday: rest day

I have to admit, I tweaked the schedule a bit.

I added a 30 minute weight workout after each timed run and upped my cross-training from 30 minutes to 60. For my cross-training workouts I usually try to bike (in order to get SOME training in for the century) but also like to hit a zumba or kickboxing class.

The long run on Saturdays increase in length each week.

One of my favorite things about the training schedule is that the workouts are no longer then an hour (with the exception of some of the long runs) a day. I have to get pretty creative in order to squeeze in that one hour and don't think I could devote any more time to training.

All in all I am loving the training schedule and have started noticing improvements in my running. There are a couple of things that are plaguing me, though.

#1 My baby pooch. All you mamas out there know what I'm talking about. No matter how much I exercise I can't get rid of it. It seems like after I had Emma I was able to get rid of my pooch after a few months. I spend a good portion of my weight workouts (more then I should actually) focusing on the problem, but, to no avail. Any ideas?

#2 On my timed runs I should be keeping my heart rate at 65-70% of my maximum hr. I don't. I am usually around 80% and occasionally even red line it. I know I could slow my pace BUT I'm kind of a slow runner as is and don't want to crawl for the whole run. I have noticed cross-training has helped a bit. So, how bout it, any advice or words of wisdom on the matter?

5 comments:

Krystal said...

Best wishes! I have no advice on the matter....I am far from a marathoner!! I will say, however, I don't know how it's done, but getting rid of the pooch is possible! I haven't and don't see the departure coming soon, but I have a friend with 3 children and she is as tight and flat as a teenager! She works out on a regular basis and says that is the cause of the transformation - who knows, maybe one day you will wake up and it will magically be gone! You work out penty!! Good luck on the training!

Emmy Bludorn said...

Try the MUFA thing that I'm doing. Also, there is a book out that I got from the library after Josh was born and it's specific exercises to target that mommy pooch. Apparently, it's used by some "big hollywood stars", I can't remember who. Anyway, I really liked it but I can't remember the name of it. I'll give it some thought and get back to you.

Emmy Bludorn said...

Oooh, I remembered it. That was fast.
Lose Your Mummy Tummy by Julie Tupler and Jodie Gould

"A mummy tummy is the "unsightly bulge," also known as diastasis, caused by the separation of the outermost abdominal muscles during pregnancy. But it isn't permanent, says R.N., personal trainer, fitness instructor and childbirth educator Tupler. By following her technique, she says, the post-childbirth mom can eliminate her mummy tummy and have a tighter, flatter stomach; a smaller waistline; a reduction or elimination of back pain; the ability to safely lift her baby and heavy objects; more energy and better posture. Tupler backs up her advice with anatomical explanations and then details her technique. Throughout, she debunks myths about pregnant women and physical activity, and retains a cheery attitude. The exercises are accompanied by helpful drawings and photos (and if that isn't enough, readers can spring for Tupler's companion video and DVD). This helpful, realistic book would be the perfect gift for any fitness-conscious new mom."

Kati said...

Ok Britt- what my coaches always told us was if you are still able to carry on a conversation you could be running harder. Chatting is actually what I like about running, so I don't like the advice. But if you are feeling like you could in no way sing along to your ipod out loud with people understanding you- you are working out pretty good. Heart rates, I feel, are a little decieving. I could NEVER get my heart rate over a hundred no matter what when I was in super great shape and had to be hooked up to a monitor all the time because of pathetic problems. I will save those stories for another time.

Kati said...

Ok Britt- what my coaches always told us was if you are still able to carry on a conversation you could be running harder. Chatting is actually what I like about running, so I don't like the advice. But if you are feeling like you could in no way sing along to your ipod out loud with people understanding you- you are working out pretty good. Heart rates, I feel, are a little decieving. I could NEVER get my heart rate over a hundred no matter what when I was in super great shape and had to be hooked up to a monitor all the time because of pathetic problems. I will save those stories for another time.