Monday, December 1, 2008

Our Christmas Season Kick-off

For family night we decided to have a good ol' Christmas season kick-off. We began by making gingerbread men.
The creative ones are the ones Dave made :) In the time it took Dave and I took decorate a whole batch of cookies Emma decorated a little blue girl and a camel.
Because of how much time and effort she put into decorating them, she isn't allowing anyone to eat them. I must say, I think I have an artist on my hands.

Look at that smile! She is so proud of her creations. And yes, I know Em's bows don't match her shirt. I had to change her shirt in the middle of the day and forgot to change the bows too, sigh ;)

While Dave, Emma and I were decorating cookies Ali had the job of sampling them. She soon tired of that and began squawking and yelling at us because we weren't paying her enough attention. Dave let me and Em finish up the cookies and went to give Ali his undivided attention

Notice how happy she is with her daddy, her milk, her baby and her deedee (blanket)...her four favorite things.
After finishing the jolly gingerbread men we headed to.......

temple square!!! Going to see the lights on temple square may be my absolute favorite Christmas tradition. The temple was absolutely beautiful and majestic all lit up and surrounded by thousands of Christmas lights.

We tried to get some pictures of the girls in front of the temple but they didn't turn out real well. Its awfully hard to capture two squirming, wiggling little girls with a very slow shutter speed and no tripod.

haha, see what I mean?!

It was such a wonderful night. Emma is at the age where Santa Clause and presents seem to take the stage, front and center, during the holiday season. Taking the girls to see the lights and life-size nativity scene gave us a great opportunity to remind her of the REAL reason we celebrate Christmas.

On our way home we stopped for some gourmet, white chocolate-candy cane, hot cocoa from....7 eleven! Hehe, ok so maybe it wasn't gourmet but it was DELICIOUS and for a dollar a cup it was my kind of a splurge ;)

Well anyway, to end this lengthy, 100 pictures post, I just want to wish you and yours Happy Holiday Festivities!

6 comments:

Emily said...

Totally love it. I know I say this every time, but you NEVER cease to amaze me! You are always taking your family to do such cool and fun things. It really inspires me for when I become a parent.

Also, yesterday some of my law school friends were talking about the BFF necklaces that with a heart half broken (ya know, the ones from elementary school)---I just laughed thinking about all the BFF stuff we gave each other! Good memory.

Love you!

HappyHodges said...

What a fun night! Did I tell you, that ya'll helped inspire me on "family nights" Adam, Ella and I are having family night ever monday, even if we just keep it simple, like last night after dinner I made treats and we turned our phones off and just played games together. I think it will be good for us. Going to see the lights is our next week activity, if Ella is better!

mcbingham said...

Brit you are so amazing! I love seeing what crafts, books, and other projects you are up to. You are definitely a girl of many talents, and a way awesome mom! I've gotten so many great ideas from looking at your blog.

jessi9380 said...

Cute gingerbread cookies! Have you ever checked out the website www.cakewrecks.blogspot.com ?
I think you would really get a kick out out of it. It's hilarious!

Michele said...

Next time were in town you are so taking me there no matter what the plans are!

Emmy Bludorn said...

I miss Temple Square at Christmastime. The Trail of Lights that they do here is so secular and random. Fun, but just not like they do it in Salt Lake.